Ellen Warren
Ellen Warren
  • Wallkill, NY

Would like to find out what this plant is

PegDeniseEllen Warren
+22

This just grew out of no where around my gas meter this year, it is so tall and has
a yellow flower at the very top. Anyone have any idea what this plant is? Thanks
would like to find out what this plant is, flowers, gardening
  • Becky (J) P

my first guess is.....weed. lol

• Kimberly Barney

It is a weed.

• Lorah Marquardt

Common mullein.

• Yes, it is common mullein. Many would consider it a weed but the birds love the seeds.

• Judy

I agree with mullein. I love it and have let it grow when it finds its way into my flowerbed. It adds quite a bit of interest to a boring flowerbed, not to mention brings birds and bees.

• Ellen Warren

Thanks for all the comments, I knew it was a weed of some sort but a pretty one I didn't want to pull out and now it is a huge plant with a flower on top. The comments have been very helpful, thanks to all.

• NancyLee

Yes Mullein - lots of medicinal herbal applications for earaches and coughs. And surprisingly, the root can help an out of sorts back -

• Carol Betz-Vogus

It's a weed. Get rid of it before it seeds down.

• Elaine Simmons

I had one once too and I agree with the others, it is a mullein.

• Emilia Menthe

Its seen is very often found in common wild bird feed. And that is how it probably gets distributed in the suburbs....we put it in bird feeders and the birds trash it. I do love the look!

• June

You have a mullein! I love them; we have them spring up on our property and enjoy them. They grow along the roadside into town and "light" the way. I believe some people call them candelabras.

• Rosa

IDK what it is but it's not attractive> I would get rid of it! Yuck!!!

• Vanessa Godfrey

Mullein, which is very good for herbal infusion for many different ailments. Some Skin disorders, not for internal use, but very helpful to have. If you don't like where it's at move it, but don't get ready of it...

• Karen

How do you prepare it for the skin? Make a cream of what?

• Lindakyeakle

Mullein is a bi-annual. The first year is puts out a base of small leaves and the next year the stalk shoots up. If you want to keep it for this year and not have it spread just look for the leaf base next year and pull it out

• Frances S

It's a weed

• Sharron W

Mullein is one of the most valuable plants for medicinal uses around, the seeds are NOT used in commercial bird seed, they are the size of the tip of a pin... the base leaves can be steamed and used to wrap a sprained wrist, ankle, knee, elbow, etc. and greatly reduce swelling and inflammation... the leaves can also be washed and made into a tea for sore throats and coughs...the leaves can be harvested and hung to dry and they remain soft and supple for years making them easy to keep on hand for those sprained ankles and limbs. The difference between a flower and a weed is the desire to have it or not in one's yard.

• Candace Welsh-Payne

the word WEED is in the eye of the beholder. this is indeed Mullein and one of my favorites.. I would LOVE to have one volunteer at my door. Google it..it's one of the most beneficial plants on the planet.

• Jenny@birdsandsoap

Mullein is a biennial. It takes two years to produce a stalk. The leaves or dried flowers are sometimes made into a tea for respiratory issues. Here in Idaho, it grows wild along with Yarrow; the two together make a nice combo.

• NancyLee

One woman's weed is another woman's medicine...............

• Karen Frost

Its a Herb, Mullien...you can use the leaves as loo paper and it has lots of uses;Mullein flowers also provide a soothing and cleansing effect to the skin. As a wash, they are an easy treatment for minor wounds and scrapes. These same flowers can be picked throughout the growing season, placed in olive oil and left to infuse. The resulting infusion is wonderful for earaches that do NOT involve a ruptured eardrum. Add beeswax to the infused oil, and you will have a balm that makes a great addition to any baby's changing table. The delicate skin of a baby's diaper area can benefit from a light layer of this mullein balm.

• Karen

Rosa, do you think you were a bit harsh? I do. If you can't say something nice or productive, just don't comment. See, it is a useful herb. I think it's interesting. Who knew, Karen Frost thanks.

• Ellen Warren

Thanks so much for all the input and comments, it helped a lot and I now know what I have here. Thanks again, Ellen w.

• Denise

Here in NC, we call it rabbit tobacco!

• Peg

Well, what folks don't want in there gardens will be labeled "weeds", if they don't mind them growing elsewhere they'll call them wild flowers. When I'm teaching the kids and teens about plants, I always give the name and the purposes attributed to them. Mullien has many medicinal properties and other beneficial uses. The indians used the large velvet leaves to line their clothes and beds and even inside of shoes in the winter. Dried leaves were used in torches. Plant history is very cool indeed!