Portable Fire Pit in Just 5 Minutes!

$20

If you're looking for fire pit ideas, this DIY outdoor fire pit is the easiest project imaginable. I first did it as a date night for me and hubby and it was a big hit. We used a much smaller terra cotta pot to set up the fire pit on our porch and had a nice romantic evening of s'mores making. Now, we set it up often when we are entertaining in our backyard. Fire pits add such a nice ambiance and create some delicious opportunities. Step 1: Gather Your Materials
I used a large terra cotta pot, some standard tinfoil and a bowlful of BBQ coals.
In this tutorial, I used a pretty large pot, but an even smaller one would work great too -- let the size of your party determine the size of your pot. Step 2: Line the Pot with Tin Foil
I ripped large pieces of the tin foil and used my hands to push the tin foil down and around the pot. This keeps the heat coming back up to you, and protects the pot a bit. Step 3: Add Coals
This time, I used coals because it takes so much less time to build a fire. But most of the time we have use a fire pit, we build our fire out of sticks. It's great fun for the kids to gather all the sticks, and things cooked over wood have a much better (less carcinogenic) taste. Step 4: Light Your Fire
Lighting coals goes very quickly. When I use sticks, I have to start with dried grass and smaller sticks and slowly build up the fire til it gets to a nice size.
Who needs an outdoor fireplace when you can make your own backyard fire pit so easily and cheaply?
And of course, the s'mores were delicious.
MMMMMMmmmm tastes like summer!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Theresa

Can the pot crack or explode from the heat?

• Pamela Phillips Cook

Yes I was wondering if a wash tub could be used. I’d love to see a picture too. Does the fire eventually burn through?

• Susan Proctor

I have a screen enclosed patio with an aluminum cover. Could I make some kind of fire pit without making the white top black?

• Grumpy

What ever you light will smoke and turn the ceiling black no matter what. I have used both charcoal and wood to build them. I have built many fires camping and I use a tarp over the pit to keep my fire going in the rain. Yes it has melted in places and turned very black. It could ruin the paint job on the roofs outer side too with the heat, even if not close. Heat rises.

• Patti

Does the bottom of the pot get hot. I have a small wooden deck and something like this would be perfect. Just afraid it would put burn marks on the deck.

• Patti

Thanks Jill. I like the idea of the fire pit. But it does sound a bit dangerous. So like I posted before there are fire pits going here all summer. Just jump from one to the other. Get to see all the neighbors that don't live here year round. And oh yeah there's always amazing food. Have a Happy Day.