Dee W
Dee W
  • Senecaville, OH
Asked on Jun 1, 2012

pruning tomato plants

Marian PeppersCONNIE W3po3
+3

Caught the end of a radio show and they were talking about a higher yield if you prune your tomato plants. Has anyone else heard of this and how is it done?
  • 3po3

Yes, and it works. Here is a great document about growing tomatoes. Scroll down to the planting section for details on pruning: http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/426/426-418/426-418.html

• Walter Reeves

In my view, this is a "quantity vs quality" practice. Pruning tomatoes yields bigger fruit; not pruning yields more fruit of smaller size. Note in the link above the need to avoid sun scald with pruned fruit.

• 3po3

Interesting, Walter. Thanks for the clarification. I had more yield with my pruned plants last year, but maybe that was just coincidence.

• CONNIE W

I prune my tomatoes, or as I call suckering them. My grandfather always clipped the suckers on his tomatoes. I find that the fruit gets bigger, and they seem to ripen faster after the overabundance of leaf is cut away. Also makes it easier to keep tied up as they are not as heavy.

• Marian Peppers

I agree with all of you on the pruning. My first this year, close to 200 plants donated for a community garden and the results from them are immaculate.Thank the Lord for the increase and weekly rain.

• Dee W

@Marian Peppers Amen! What a blessing for you and those you serve.