Karen W
Karen W
  • Murfreesboro, TN

Koi Pond - Update!! :)

I thought I'd share some photos of our koi pond built by my husband AFTER we added some landscaping with flower beds and plantings. We have sure enjoyed our little koi pond and every time we look at it, we think of our sweet Molly (our basset hound that passed away last month. The pond was built in her memory!)
We now have flower beds bordering the koi pond.  We've added water hycinth, cattails, and pickerel rush to the pond.
We now have flower beds bordering the koi pond. We've added water hycinth, cattails, and pickerel rush to the pond.
Coming down the steps from the front porch
down the right side of the sidewalk...peony, regal geranium, marigolds, creeping phlox and mini carnations
both sides of the beds
both sides of the beds
another view of the front of the fountain (from the side)
flowers on the front porch
flowers on the front porch
the porch above the pond
the porch above the pond

• Md24576932

instructions for little koi pond

• Karen W

Well, the question is, how big is that little pond? If you can give me an idea of dimensions, I can help on how to build it!

• Md24576932

6 by 6 foot

• Karen W

You can follow the same method we did for building your 6 x 6 ft pond. As a matter of fact, my husband 2 years ago built another pond like the one above in our backyard that holds 4,000 gallons! It's huge! Doggenlady, above asked for step by step directions and I posted them to her above. Just read in the comments under the 3 questions on this post.

• Gayle

do you have a site that give instructions how to build this pond?

• Karen W

No, but I did reply to the first question and gave step by step directions. Somewhere I have pictures of this pond being built. I'll have to find them!

• Gayle

I read the above instructions and they are really helpful. Pixs would be great. I just love the wooden frame!

• Doggenlady

Directions for building pond

• Karen W

We started out with one of those small tiered black rigid pond forms sunk in the ground. It wasn't doing the job so we pulled it out and left the hole. My husband used pressure treated landscape timbers and huge nails (which they sell at Lowes) to build a box size frame with the previous hole in the middle. After we got the sides up as high as we wanted them (we opted for 3.5 feet high x 4 feet wide, we ordered a heavy rubber pond liner online. When it came in, we fitted into the inside, even stuffing the hole in the ground from the previous pond form to form a deep end the fish to hibernate in the winter. We are in TN and our winters are pretty mild with some snow but mostly ice. We needed the fish to have 3 -4 ft of water to get deep enough to hibernate over the winter. We draped the excess liner over the sides, hubby nailed on a row of timbers on top to hold it on and we cut off the excess. We filled it with water and added a pump with a fountain attachment to circulate the water and let the water sit in it for about a month so all the chlorine evaporated before adding fish. We added about 10 standard goldfish from the pet store. Goldfish are dirty fish and would help (by pooping) to build a good substrate for future fish. Over the next few months we added lots of pond plants, a separate filter system and koi fish. Our ground is so hard here in TN and has so much clay that building above ground just made sense. We've had it for a few years now and love it and have had no real issues.

• Doggenlady

Thank you

• SC

Do you have any wood or cement layer before you put the pond liner?

• Karen Wolfe

No. What we did was lay inexpensive pink insulation sheets on the ground and along the sides of the wood to make a soft underlayment. On our back, larger pond, we added several bags of sand on the ground and pink insulation to the sides where the landscape timbers were. It has worked great!

• SC

Thank you so much. I think the sand is excellence choice for me to make good ground leveling, too.

• Anne D

absolutely Beautiful

• SC

Love it. It's beautiful. Thank you to share your idea to all of us. I'm planning to make a pond for my waterfall with the same wood that you used and this give me more ideas.