Ivylore
Ivylore
  • Trenton, MI

What is this plant?

Wanda sinnemaDarwinLinda Hinchey
+22

I planted this perennial a few years ago and it's doing fine. It has interesting yellow flowers. I just don't remember the name. Can you help me? Thanks!
about 1 and 1/2 ft. tall w interesting yellow flowers
  • Ivylore

I've been doing some research and I think it may be St. John's wort?

• White Oak Studio Designs

I don't think it is St. John's Wort. I have many SJW shrubs and they look nothing like this. My St. Johns Wort's are shrubs, get very tall if not cut back (more than 5 ft.) and bloom in August in Michigan.

• TJ

The bloom reminded me of a globeflower (trollius) but the leaves don't look the same as the one I have but its still very small. Something about this is familiar but can't quite come up with anything else.

• Ivylore

Hmmm... not sure now. It isn't very tall or wide and I've had it about 3 years. Thanks for your help.

• Mariposa

This link has info on Sunburst but down at the bottom it has info on plants that look similar. http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/plant-finder/plant-details/kc/a654/hypericum-frondosum-sunburst.aspx

• Sandra

I think it's an edible flower plant my neighbor has an orange trumpet looking one, the leaves are identical. After they are cut they only last a few hours. The flowers are used as a garnish on a food dish. My first was in CA, the laws there are anything served on a dish must be edible! The most popular are those that looks like pansies. Check out this book: Cooking with Edible Flowers: Storey Country Wisdom Bulletin A-223 By Miriam Jacobs

• Ivylore

Hi Mariposa, I took a look at the link and the one on the bottom does look like my plant (minus the purple leaves)! It will be interesting to see if the leaves begin to turn purple. I'll be watching! And Thanks, Sandra for your comment- I do have a nasturtium vine which is blossoming with red, yellow and orange flowers and it is definitely edible, although I haven't sampled it yet :)

• Kay Love-Wood

leaves look like 4 O'clocks?????

• Nancy Christopher-Morrison

I am pretty sure it is a hybrid version of St. Johns Wort - it is a very popular ground cover in Seattle. -in my part of Washington State it grows wild. Link to see leaves> http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=774135 and to see flowers> http://lindasflipside.blogspot.com/2010/06/wordless-wednesday-st-johns-wort.html...and yes it is edible.

• Merri Jo

The photo looks identical to the St Johns Wort in my garden!

• Jodi Schuller

It's Hypericum. A species of St. John's Wort. Many berries are poisonous, so unless you know exactly what you have, I would not advise eating them. As a florist, we use this often in flower arrangements. The berry will change color, they are white or yellow at the beginning then change to green, red, brown or in one variety-black.

• Judy

There is more than one variety of Hypericum (St John's Wort). There is Hypericum perforatum, which is the taller, shrubby plant that grows wild, is used medicinally & is also classified as a noxious weed in some areas & yours, which is Hypericum calycinum, a ground cover with larger yellow flowers. My Mother-in-law had them in front of her house for years & I still see them in yards occasionally.

• Mikell Paulson

St. John's Wort!

• Anja

In the floral industry, it's called hyperiçum berry and is used in fresh flower arrangements.

• Wanda sinnema

It 's HYPERICUM (sp?),,,common name ST.JOHNS WORT... looks like the shrub variety,,, the GROUND COVER variety IS INVASIVE... inf the fall the berries turn red-bronze and are used in flowers bouquets because of the striking color..

• Ivylore

Thanks everyone, I'm pretty convinced it's st. john's wort, the shrub variety.

• Glh

I'm not sure what it's called, I have some planted on the north side of my house. It spreads and new starts will transplant to other locations well.

• Peg

yep, St. John's Wort shrub.

• Linda Hinchey

It's invasive and it will pop up and cover everything.

• Darwin

Hypericum common name ST. JOHNS WORT. Several types, grown cover plus upright with different leave sizes. All have wonderful yellow blooms.

• Wanda sinnema

BE CAREFUL,,,,,,SOME VARIETIES listed as ground covers, it can spread by underground runners........ as bad as IVY...others are perfect for some areas, you don't want to worry about and have it covered and with flowers.... there are varieties that produce pink and orange seed pods in the fall....