My Garden Shine
My Garden Shine
  • North Myrtle Beach, SC

Is it wise to add banana peels to the garden?

Carol ClaremontValerieBarbT
+6

Are banana peels beneficial to plants?
  • Suzie S

I haven't tried it yet but I heard it's great. It can't hurt right?

• Bonnie Bassett

I have cut them up and mixed into the soil around my rose bushes because I read somewhere that roses like them. The rose bushes are doing well and it hasn't hurt them. Banana peels contain a lot of potassium I use them in my compost .

They're known for being good for staghorn ferns, but generally speaking adding organic matter to the garden is a good thing.

• I dig one under my rose plants every spring, good source of potassium and organic matter.

• Catherine Smith

I tuck a few around my roses and add any other's to either our Bokashi buckets or the regular compost bins. Banana peels are great for an little extra boost of potassium for your plants.

• My Garden Shine

Thanks, Catherine

• BarbT

I have never heard of this before, but based on the comments I will add some to my roses! Thanks.

• Valerie

I believe that putting pieces of over-ripe banana into the leaves of Bromeliads is good, and imagine that any plants that thrive in forest-like conditions would benefit as they are a great source of potassium.

• Carol Claremont

I also have dug them into the soil around my Knock Out roses and they are all huge with tons of blooms. I do think roses like the potassium.