Bonnie Bassett
Bonnie Bassett
  • Hinsdale, NH

Hydrangeas are not blooming

Christi DiamondBonnie BassettDouglas Hunt

I have had two bushes for 4 years they have grown well but only bloomed well one year(two years ago) . this year one bush has 2 buds the other none it seems like it will be another year with barely a flower why won't they bloom like they did 2 years ago?

To answer this question, Bonnie, we really need to know what kind of hydrangeas you have. I suspect you have a type that booms on old wood and that two years ago you had a mild enough winter that the buds made it through, but that that will never reliably be the case where you are. In your zone, your best bet are the Annabelle and paniculata types.

• Bonnie Bassett

Doug that is very interesting I had no idea that it made a difference with the temps here I think we did have a mild winter that year! so there is not much hope for my hydrangeas ? That is so sad.

• Christi Diamond

Douglas is right. Endless Summer hydrangeas will grow in your area, if you're interested in a variety that can be pruned any time. Blooms grow on old AND new wood. I have several, and have cut flowers from them all summer. They don't get as big as the old varieties...mine only get about 5'X5'. Here's a link, if you're interested. http://www.endlesssummerblooms.com/en/consumer