Janice H
Janice H
  • Poughquag, NY
Asked on Jun 2, 2012

my garden has mold or fungis on my tomatoe plants how do i get rid of the mold? Is it the soil?

Tina HillKim KilmerJames Bryan C
+2

Where on your plants is the mold or fungus, Janice? Can you post a photo?

• Walter Reeves

If it is spots on the leaves, which afterwards turn yellow, could be early blight.

• James Bryan C

You are making a mistake in watering the leaves of your tomato plants... Water on the leaves esp.. water in the evening can cause a disease on tomatoes... I have experimented over the years with a variety of different ways to grow tomatoes and posted photos of a syestem I am trying this year using a garbage can buried in the ground and I have loads of tomatoes under very hot and dry conditions...my tomatoes are at 5'4" and still growing loaded with small clusters of tomatoes and full of bloom sets...

• Kim Kilmer

definitely keep the leaves as dry as you can and water at the base of the plants. I always spot water my tomatoes when they need a drink. We've had so much rain up here in the Northeast, we need to watch for blight and rot . Any leaves close to the ground should be cut off too. I cut the leaves off of the bottom of the plant to make sure nothing is touching the soil and once my plants are a couple feet tall, I cut out everything about 8 inches above the soil level. I also trim out the suckers on the plant. The tomatoes need to have air circulating around them and if they are too dense the leaves stay moist.

• Tina Hill

I haven't experienced this yet but i was thinking testing a spritz of hydrogen peroxide on a leaf and see it the plant tolerates and if it kills the mold but not the plant ...