Richard
Richard
  • Gainesville, GA

Fingerprints on stainless steel appliances

DebraDebi53Dawn
+15

I've tried a SS cleaner from Home Depot and even tried WD-40, but the fingerprints still remain on my stainless steel fridge. How do you get rid of them?
  • Richard

What kind of answer is that????

• Sherrie

Stainless steel: Wash stainless steel surfaces with a clean,soft cloth or sponge and a mild detergent in warm water.Rinse surfaces with clean, warm water and dry immediately toavoid water spots. NOTE: When cleaning stainless steel, always wipe in thedirection of the grain to avoid cross-grain scratching. Never use household cleaners, bleach, acid. Always dry after you use water. Very little soap is needed to clean it.

• Celeste S

I just use rubbing alcohol. I have owned a cleaning service for 25 years and that is all we use works every time. Rubbing alcohol also is great for mirrors and items that are chrome, like toasters and faucets. to use just open the bottle and put a spray trigger in it. oh and it makes windows shine.

• Ann Garner

You can also use just plain ole furniture polish

• Kim149956

Windex all purpose cleaner with vinegar

• Diane V

I do not have a stainless steel fridge. But I have been rubbing all my stainless steel products with wax paper, right after I wash it. It helps to keep the finger prints off longer. answer this question...

• Sherrie

Stainless Steel comes in different gauges that is why so many different cleaning answers. The same goes for stainless steel appliances. Vinegar can cause corrosion. But in higher quality stainless steel they can use it to take off hard water and salt build up. I wouldn't use it on your appliances. Try club soda to take off the finger prints, then try alcohol. Using any house hold cleaners can cause damage. NOTE: Do not use abrasive or harsh cleaners such as windowsprays, scouring cleansers, flammable fluids, muriatic acid,cleaning waxes, concentrated detergents, bleaches or cleanserscontaining petroleum. Do notuse paper towels, scouring pads, or other harsh cleaning tools. These types of marks can be such a pain! To clean, mix up a solution of one teaspoon of dish soap with one quart of hot tap water (wear gloves to protect your hands from the heat). Using a clean microfiber cloth, rub the detergent solution onto the marks in small sections, going with the grain; rinse with clean hot water only, and dry immediately with a clean cloth. To work, this may take some elbow grease. Your other option: a liquid stainless steel — appliance cleaner, which can save time in the long run.

• Deb S

I use a 50/50 vinegar/water solution and dry with a microfiber towel and thus far, all prints are easily removed.

• Therese C

I polish mine with Pledge furniture polish to remove prints and help keep them off.

• Sia@South 47th

When I HAD Stainless High end Appliances I used the Stainless Cleaner. I figured since I invested the money in the appliances, I might as well use the recommended cleaner. I can tell you that it was a PITA to keep the fingerprints at bay, even with the so called 'textured' Stainless. I was always wiping them down and my cleaning person hated them. That's why I now no longer have any Stainless Appliances LOL!!

• Sherrie

Sia is right. I know everyone is into natural cleaning but sometimes it is much easier to use a product that is made for the surface.

• Sue

When all else fails, try Nev-R Dull Wadding Polish from Eagle1. It's found in the car care section at WalMart. Inside the silver can is cotton wadding that is impregnated with polish. You just tear off a chunk and rub with the grain on the brushed SS surface. I got this tip from a retired Navy officer who said it was used to polish the SS in the galley on the ships. it takes a little elbow grease but it is an affordable, no-fail solution to getting those SS appliances back to a like-new shine.

• Deborine Dolan

After I clean the surface well with soap and water and put a little Old English furniture oil on a cloth and go over the surface with the oil. Wipe off any excess oil and you are left with no fingerprints or wipe marks. It really works!

• Karen

Just heard about using coconut oil on ss. It is amazingly effective on water marks, grease streaks, anything that's left after using many other cleansers! Just a dab at a time on soft cloth, rub til shiny.

• Sue

I clean houses and the $3.00 dollar General spray foam glass cleaner works wonders on stainless steel also on mirrors with the blue shop towels. No lint.

• Dawn

Clean with Hope's Perfect Stainless and polish with a good microfiber cloth. It leaves a protective seal that helps protect from fingerprints for about a week.

• Debi53

All great ideas above. Here's my solution: Clean with Bar Keeper's Friend (the powder, not the spray). I just pour the powder in a small bucket or my sink; wet my cloth & squeeze it out, dab the powder to make a paste & rub it on the appliance. Wipe off, rinse, & dry. All of the other products I have tried take so much rubbing. This method is the fastest I have found and does not require going over & over the same area to get it clean. I then use Kitchen Majic or Countertop Majic spray. This is made to polish countertops, but I use it on my stainless as well as my bath & kitchen countertops & faucets. One coat of this & it is usually a few months before I begin to notice fingerprints on my stainless appliances.

• Debra

I just discovered Pledge has no wax and cleans everything, even tile.