Carroll A
Carroll A
  • Coos Bay, OR

Before and semi after

So here are some of the before and after weeding pics. Not even close to being done.
Myrtle Wood Tree in back yard
Myrtle Wood Tree in back yard
There are 3 plants here.... a rhode, and two others I have yet to figure out.
All the flower beds looked like this
All the flower beds looked like this
Future home of the shade garden under the myrtlewood tree
This is the bed where the "belly button" plant is... do you see it?

• Elisabeth Moss

I just had to put in my 2 cents. The black weed cloth breaks down in about 1 year. I have used it, and it stretches so much that it makes it hard to cut. For a little more money, you can p/u construction grade weed cloth. It lasts a LOT longer! First, amend your soil with compost (1/3 compost to 2/3 soil), new planting (not potting) mix, and mix it with your existing soil. Level it out, and lay thick newspaper or cardboard down. Lay down the weed cloth and pin it well! When you're ready to plant, cut an X in the fabric. Dig out the soil, and put it elsewhere temporarily. Put in your plants with some organic fertilizer, and lay out your irrigation if using. Top off with mulch, or if you have to, use medium sized bark. You can get it delivered free from most tree cutting businesses. They will want to deliver a LOT at once..usually 10 feet or more, so if you don't have enough to use it on, talk to your neighbors before delivery. The bark will last over a year normally, and longer if it's hardwood (like Maple). You may get mushrooms in it, but it really holds the weeds back! The only problem is that you don't want the wood chips getting into the soil, so for future plantings you have to take care not to mix it in. Plants like mulch better, but my pocket book likes the free chipped wood deliveries!

• Carroll A

Thanks Elisabeth!