Joan Brooke
Joan Brooke
  • Glen Burnie, MD

Unclog a bathroom sink drain

Sherrie SBarbPhyllis W
+6

Remedies for clogged drain - bathroom sink
  • Jill

I don't care for all that Draino stuff as it can lead to other problems like not being safe for some types of pipe. I do have a few ideas for you, but first you have to know what it is that is clogging your drains and WHERE. Hair is most like the culprit in most cases, but it's the build up of slime that really starts to cause the problem. First off treat your sinks with a mixture of Baking Soda and White Vinegar once a month. Simply sprinkle the Baking Soda in your sink, then follow with pouring White Vinegar down the drain flushing the Baking Soda down. It will create a bubbling as it goes down. After about 15 minutes flush by running hot water for a few minutes. This can help remove some clogs. Next thing to do is remove the pop up assembly and and clean any hair out. Some are unscrewed from the top, and some from underneath and behind the drain pipe under the sink. You can do this by buying a long handled pair of serrated clamps and reaching down the drain with them and pulling the clog out if it's something like hair. Another thing is to remove the p-trap under the sink. It's that U shaped pipe under the sink. Simply put a bucket under the pipes to catch any water that will flow out, and see if there is anything and remove it if there is. I have replaced mine with a quick release one that is clear and allows me to see if anything is indeed trapped. Buy yourself a drain snake. It's a long wire device that you simply thread down the drain by twisting it. The twisting motion will trap anything in the coils and allow you to pull it out as your "rewind" the device. There is another device you can try using a with a balloon on the end and attaching a hose to it. This will push whatever the clog is further down the drain by force, but it tends to be messy and ineffective if the clog isn't far enough down the lines towards out going sewer line in your home. Any other drains along the line would need to be sealed as to not allow air or the force of the water out. (This type of device can also be used on your emergency clean out on the outside of your home.) Sometimes though, when nothing works, you have to know when to call a plumber.

• Diana Blazer

I use baking soda and vinegar. This usually does the trick for me--Good luck

• Here is what I use. Works every time. http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-Zip-It-Bath-and-Sink-Hair-Snare-BC00400/100665735#.UeMxOKz4LWU Then a simple flush with boiling water will remove the slime that is left over. This little gadget works well in sinks and tubs as well. Push it in and pull it out. Yucky to get the stuff off, but it does the job every time.

• Joan Brooke

Baking Soda and Vinegar didn't do it. I've used that many times. I will go to Home Depot tomorrow. Thanks to all of you. Appreciate your help!

• Phyllis W

Hi Woodbridge Environmental, I get that little plastic device at Lowes or Walmart. But I have mad my own out of the plastic sides of a milk jug. Works great for all that long hair. No chemicals, just follow with hot water.

• Barb

If you have a steamer, use it. If not, borrow one. It works like a charm and no chemicals!

• Sherrie Slaboda

I have a little steamer & I'm going to try that today. I already tried baking soda and vinegar. I love non-chemical ideas.

• Sherrie S

Barb, I put baking soda and vinegar in the drain for a few hours and it didn't solve my issue. Then I read your post and filled my steamer and within less than a minute I checked to see the sink was draining. I've been in my home over 26 years and never had a problem in any sink until last night. I'm so glad I read your post. 5 ***** for you.

• Sherrie S

The best part is: I didn't have to see the "crap" that was in that drain. The steamer washed it all away.