Pamela F
Pamela F
  • Hinesville, GA
Asked on Jun 2, 2012

Have You Ever Tried To Make Your Own Weed Killer? How Did It Work?

Debbie / Dragonfly TreasureBarbaraDORLIS
+17

I just seen this video on how to make your own weed killer from bleach or vinegar and water? Check it out and tell me what do you think. http://www.ehow.com/video_5706782_make-own-weed-killer.html?wa_vlsrc=continuous&cp=1&pid=1&wa_vrid=ad099e62-9c7f-4427-87dc-0748500d087e
  • 3po3

I've used vinegar once and it worked just OK, but not great.

• Pam

Actually the mixture I use works better than Round-Up and a whole lot cheaper. 2 cup of vinegar, 1 tbl. of liquid soap and 1 tbl. of salt. The liquid soap helps the vinegar stay on the leaves. Put this in a spray bottle and spray on leaves and let nature do the rest. Do not get on any plants or grass you don't want to kill. It will kill all vegetation.

• Pamela F

Thanks for the info...I'm going to give it a try:-D

• Walter Reeves

Regarding the video, I'm curious why folks think bleach is "safer" than glyphosate (Roundup). The Material Safety Data Sheet for bleach warns about tissue damage, corrosiveness and burning of the skin. The comparable MSDS for glyphosate describes it as "practically non-toxic". Here are my sources: Bleach: www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9925000 Glyphosate: http://www.cdms.net/LDat/mp6DP042.pdf

• Pam

I've never had Clorox to kill my plants, or weeds or grass. At least not when I use it to wash down my house or deck. The plants were just fine after I completed spraying with water and clorox in my sprayer, waiting a while and then rinsing off with the hose.

• 3po3

Walter, I was wondering the same thing, but didn't have the sources and knowledge you have. Pam, I am curious about your formula. I might have to try that. Thanks.

• Pam

Steve, I got this from an article of 100 uses for vinegar. I have been using it for 2 years now and it works. I found it on Pinterest.

• Vicki T

Pam D, How long before you see results with your vinegar solution? I think I am going to try this...thanks for sharing

• Pam

In 2 days everything will be turning brown. It works as fast as round-up.

• Sheila G

I will try it also, thanks!

• Gail

Have you tried using cornmeal ? it is birth control for weeds.

• DORLIS

Vinegar, dawn soap . Spray it on the plants you want to kill (do't let it get on plants y9ou want to keep). It even kills thistle, may take 2 or 3 applications, but it will get the job done and is safe .

• Ply578834

I would try vinegar, salt , soap mixture. Please people, don't use roundup as it is killing our environment. Please look it up, as well as Monsanto. Many stores are taking it off the shelves, due to consumer knowledge. Id rather have a few weeds then kill the earth and the people on it.

• DORLIS

ROUND UP IS NOT ONLY KILLING BEES, ETC. BUT US ALSO. WHY ELSE WOULD A LAW FIRM CALL AND ASK TO TAKE BLOOD SAMPLES TO SEE IF ROUNDUP CAUSED MY LYMPHOMS

• Barbara

Just plain old vinegar....do not dilute......works amazing!!

• Debbie / Dragonfly Treasure

1 gallon white vinegar and 1 cup salt and 1 tablespoon liquid dish soap Combine ingredients in
    spray bottle and treat weeds at the hottest time of day for best results.