Mistie
Mistie
  • Maryville, TN

Laundry Detergent - Gold Star Recipe

There are many DIY laundry recipes, so why read another one? – Well here is why. My recipe may be a bit different than others.
I choose not to add baking soda. After much research, I don’t believe that it is needed. It is not as powerful in stain fighting abilities as washing soda, they are both alkaline and baking soda’s pH (9) is not as high as washing soda’s pH (11). I just don’t see a reason to mess with an already powerful ingredient.
I also choose not to use Borax for it’s questionable “not so green” effects.
So there is my ‘why I don’t use what others may’ in their recipes.
I have been making laundry detergent for about 6 years now. I have tried MANY – many, many- different methods and recipes.
6 years ago, I started out making liquid laundry detergent. That was a chore that involved stove top cooking, filling up a 5 gallon bucket, storing it, and trying to add from the bucket to my saved laundry bottles. It got old. Fast.
Then I started powdered detergent. It works better, it is faster to make, and easier to store. After experimenting with many different recipes, and trying to switch over to a natural home lifestyle, I have landed on this gold star recipe.
For the full recipe tutorial, come on over to my blog. http://www.homespunengineer.com/diy-laundry-detergent-gold-star-recipe/

Mistie

• Wendy Slater

I have made this soap 3 times and want to make it again but I can't find the recipe.

• Levi Thomas

How well at stain fighting is it

• Dail Procko Loflin

Link goes to a page that’s for sale? Where can we find the recipes. If it’s doesnt exist anymore rhen I would suggest delegating this post.

• Donna Di Marino

There's no way to get to the recipe... several clicks, new windows opening, then to a search engine. Too bad.

• Lowcntrygal

You don't use Borax due to not being comfortable with it's green status, but you'll use Fels Natha that is basically lighter fluid? Not sure I understand that one. Borax is natural mineral. Perhaps you should consider Zote which is an all natural soap used for laundry.