Rosi McCoy
Rosi McCoy
  • Menomonee Falls, WI

What is this plant/flower?

Valentina dolpiesRosi McCoyJean Eickhoff
+27

This plant/flower grows in my neighbor's garden. There are three different colors: purple, white and pink - all on different plants. It blooms in July, in direct sunlight and doesn't need any fussing over it. I have watched these plants bloom over the past six or seven years and LOVE them......but my neighbor just can't remember what they are. I would love to have them in my own garden. Appreciate any help you can provide. THANKS!
what is this plant flower, flowers, gardening
  • Barb Rosen

Your neighbor's lovely flowers are Lisianthus - here's a little info about them for you http://www.dontveter.com/howtogrow/eustgran.html

• Luis

I love the wonderful color

• Rosi McCoy

Yes, Barb!! And from the picture on the link you provided, those are the exact colors of the ones in her garden. Thank you so much, not just for the answer, but how quickly you responded. From a fellow Wilmington, De resident (although this plant is in Earleville, Md)

• Barb Rosen

Nice to know you , fellow Wilmingtonian : ) Glad I could help out!

• TJ

I love these in as many colors as I can get. What zone are these growing in? I thought they were annual but then Missouri Botanical Gardens states that they are hardy in zone 8 - 11. I did try bringing these in one winter - they lived all winter then just died in the spring. Your neighbor is lucky.

• Z

Wow those are beautiful! They look like a rose and a tulip married and had babies, don't they?

• Rosi McCoy

Not sure of our zone TJ, but the location is Earleville, MD. I understood it to be an annual, with the plant dropping it's seeds every year and growing from those. Our neighbor started them from plants and from the link Barb shared above, starting them from seeds is a lengthy process.

• Sue Kiene

Looks like you are a 6b although possibly a 7a. I have grown them before and if you do not get them started early you will not get many flowers.

• April E

if the seeds are planted in fall they will start themselves the link is showing greenhouse cultivation and that can be lengthy but ask your neighbor for seedheads from her plants and spread them in your garden mid to late fall in your area and you will get babys next spring in the zones that they are considered hardy they wil come back from root however they seem to freely come back by seed in many areas

• Jean Eickhoff

I have varigated blue and white lisiathis that I bought at our local Farmer's Market this spring. They too are beautiful. Had never seen a double color before only solid blue or pink.

• Christina W

Lisiathis is a wild flower here in Texas. They like to grow in ditches, river banks and culverts.

• Rosi McCoy

Wow Jean! Varigated???? I would love to see a picture of them!

• Rosi McCoy

April, thanks so much for that information. It makes having them in my garden less of an expense and more of a "we did it ourselves" project! Our neighbor has already told us we can help ourselves to the seeds. Now we just have to wait for them, and for the white and pink lisianthus to bloom so we can enjoy them and get their seeds also!

• Irene

I grow Lisianthus here in Southern Ca. The purple is my favorite. They are annuals here. I buy them new at the nursery. I had no idea they went to seed from now on i'll be keeping an eye on the seed heads and saving the seeds.

• DeMarie I

I've grown these in both the front Range of Colorado and in Western Nebraska. Love them & they're great in a mixed bouquet.

• Jean Eickhoff

There is a lady out in the country not too far from me who has a cutting garden open to the public to cut boquets - there is a fee; she grows lots of different flowers; lisianthis is one of those, and I have seen pictures of all lisianthis in her boquets; beautiful!

• Peg

They are hard to grow from seed, the seeds are so tiny. I can't resist at least one pot of them to grow as an annual here. This year I did not get one. I have seen them in variegated form in floral arrangements too.

• CAROL

Those are so beautiful

• Cathy W

Now This is Lisianthus!!!!

• Bonnie Bassett

would they grow in southern NH or would the winters be to cold? they are beautiful!

• Jean Eickhoff

In Iowa these are grown as annuals; buy started plants at a nursery or Farmer's Market.

• Rosi McCoy

I am not sure Bonnie, you would have to check your growing area zone.

• Jean Eickhoff

Variegated lisianthis

what is this plant flower, flowers, gardening, variegated lisianthis
  • Jean Eickhoff

It took me many tries to get this photo posted, but finally I was successful. I bought 4 plants of the variegated lisianthis at our Farmer's Market in May. One of them came out solid blue/purple, and one has more blue/purple than white as in the photo; all are beautiful.

• Rosi McCoy

Jean - this is GORGEOUS!!! I hope it reseeds itself and comes back plentiful and just as pretty for you next year. Thanks for all your efforts in posting the picture.

• Jean Eickhoff

My husband says that if it does reseed it is possible that it will not come back vareigated; it will revert to solid blue or white. I would take any because they are not always easy to find in our area.

• Rosi McCoy

@Jean Eickhoff, he's most likely right. But let's think positive and throw it out to the universe that at least one of those babies will be a variegated plant!!! And you are correct, no matter what color, they will be beautiful.

• Valentina dolpies

This plant is called lizzieanthus

• Valentina dolpies

Lisianthus, sorry spelled it wrong