Fabulous Folger's Coffee Plastic Container Upcycle

$10

With some chalkboard labels from Michael's and a can of Krylon Paint these coffee containers become great organizers for crafts, sewing or as a reposit for rice, pasta, flour or sugar - especially when the person has difficulty with heavy canisters. I kept the insides carefully covered so they remained food-safe. Buy paint that is usable on plastic and follow directions - they must cure for 4-5 days! Try
Pretty great color, aren't they?  Krylon!
Pretty great color, aren't they? Krylon!
We have so many of these as my husband does not care for the prices or "fru-fru" of Tenbucks, er Starbucks!
These are in the Bridal section of Michael's and are rather pricey at $8.99 but worth it.
Kitchen Kelli

• Bee2910121

I buy the generic coffee at Walmart that comes in a tin can. I love your idea! Would I be able to use the same primer and paint on that type of canister?

• Theresa Rasmusson

Beebasis ... it would be better to use paint meant for metal not plastic on a coffee tin.

• Lori LeClair

Doesnt the paint chip off around the top from taking the lid on & off so much? I had used the paint for plastic on some outdoor furniture & let it cure, but it all flaked off. Hate to waste my money on paint if it's not going to work.

• Randy

I wipe the outside of the container down with Acetone (Nail polish remover will work too), it will remove any leftover oil's (plastic is naturally oily) or soap residue (which will cause the paint to flake) and leave some "teeth " for the paint to bite into!

• Faith

was wondering how you get the coffee smell out of it for other uses

• Cynthia Lee Cann

I have several different projects that I have made with the Fodger's as well as the other coffee brand cans. The Fodger's, I use for dispensing supermarkets bags when needed, I simply put an X in the lid and pull out one at a time the large cans stores quite a lot of bags, I also use the Tides pods container. The other coffee containers I have I sprayed painted and attached to a used "Q" headboard and am storing yarn in them

• Myg13598802

Soak over night with baking soda.