A Dresser Makeover With Paint and Nail Head Trim

$60

The first time a saw a painted dresser ornate with nailhead on Pinterest I became obsessed. It was a while ago, and only recently I had time to try my own version of it. It turns out it is not that hard!
Here is the before and after. I paid $30 for this old dresser on a tag sale, and it was in decent shape considering its age.
First I fixed all scratches and missing parts of the veneer with Minwax High Performance wood filler.
Next I gave it a good cleaning with TSP diluted in water, then primed it with Rustoleum Primer spray. I use gray or black primer when I'm painting dark colors.
I sprayed three coats of Marine Blue by Shabby Paints. This paint is very thick so even if you are rolling or brushing it, it's a good idea to thin it with water.
My following step was sealing the dresser with Polycrylic spray. In this project, sealing was not the last step because I wanted to apply dark wax, and wax HAS to be the last thing you apply to a piece. Trust me my friends, wax (if any) is ALWAYS last. I learned it the hard way.
To give the drawers a "vignette" frame, I applied dark was only on the edges.
Then I rubbed the dark areas using a clean rag with circular movements.
I needed about 7 yards of nailhead trim for this project. Each pack has 5 yards so I needed to buy 2 packs.
Applying the nailhead is pretty simple. Just measure, cut and attach the trim by hammering the loose tacks (included) to the little holes like this one in the picture.
I loved the original knobs so I just washed and polished them with Brasso.
That was all!
I hope this tutorial encourages you to try it. You can find more information on my blog post.
Feel free to ask me any questions!

25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Pat Rios | The Wood Spa

• Evelyn Vestal

What is TSP?

Tri-sodium-phosphate, it comes in a powdered form that is mixed with water. Fantastic all purpose cleaner/prep agent for painting. Slightly acidic so wearing a decent pair of rubber gloves when using is a good idea to avoid dry, red, itching, and burning skin .

• Susan

Love this. Very nice piece

• Roni Freels

I am inspired. I have a Lane chest over 100 years old. My mom stored it in her basement and the veneer came lose. I plan on doing nail heads around the lip on the lid and use Brass handles instead of the wooden ones on it. After seeing your masterpiece I am anxious to get started. You did an awesome job.