DIY Mason Jar Light!

When I finished our Screen Porch Makeover I thought I had plenty of light with the outdoor chandelier but I was wrong! I like to have my quiet time on the porch before the sun comes up and there just wasn't enough light to read. So I came up with the absolute easiest light in the world using everyone's favorite thing, Mason Jars! Adding some tiny white lights, twine wire, burlap ribbon and a great wall hook and in just minutes my comfy chair had the perfect light to read before daybreak!
I needed just a little more light on the screen porch and thought I'd try to do one with everyone's favorite thing: the Mason Jar!
Using grapevine twine wire, I made hangers for the widemouth jars (full tutorial on my blog).
I added back the twist tops without the lids to keep the wire in place.
I found this rustic swinging set of hooks from Hobby Lobby--they were perfect for hanging the light!
Adding a bit of burlap ribbon to a couple of the jars helped lengthen them, creating a cluster shape. The burlap also softens the look.
The Husband attached an adapter to our existing porch light, making the lights controllable from a switch--but you could easily use an extension cord. This makes a perfect light for my early morning quiet time reading.
~ xo
All Things Heart and Home

• Tammy

I love this and I think it’s beautiful but perhaps Hometalk.com has it misrepresented as using a string of Christmas lights when you used a strand of fairy lights. I do love it though. I have battery operated fairy lights but using 3 AA batteries per strand which don’t last long and a 40$ hook minimum if you can one, is too expensive for me. But I do love it!

• Tammy

That comment of mine, smh, I want to remove but I can’t! It’s just too negative and I apologize. This is just absolutely beautiful and such a great idea!

• Jeanne Martin

I'm definitely doing this outside my garage door, both sides. I rent and there are no lights outside my garage. I found nifty hooks that fit into vinyl siding (no damage!) so I just need to make or find a hook that sticks out a little from the wall. I already have the solar inserts for mason jars. Thanks for the idea! I've been searching for months for two sconces I could convert to solar to no avail....but I like the look of this much better.

• Jeanne Martin
      8 minutes ago

Yes! But I only made one set and hung them on my patio. It provides beautiful ambient lighting. I love them and get alot of compliments. It just wasn't bright enough for outside my garage. To make it even easier I found mason jar lids that have a solar light in them at Hobby Lobby. Just twist and go!