DIY Mason Jar Light!

When I finished our Screen Porch Makeover I thought I had plenty of light with the outdoor chandelier but I was wrong! I like to have my quiet time on the porch before the sun comes up and there just wasn't enough light to read. So I came up with the absolute easiest light in the world using everyone's favorite thing, Mason Jars! Adding some tiny white lights, twine wire, burlap ribbon and a great wall hook and in just minutes my comfy chair had the perfect light to read before daybreak!
I needed just a little more light on the screen porch and thought I'd try to do one with everyone's favorite thing: the Mason Jar!
Using grapevine twine wire, I made hangers for the widemouth jars (full tutorial on my blog).
I added back the twist tops without the lids to keep the wire in place.
I found this rustic swinging set of hooks from Hobby Lobby--they were perfect for hanging the light!
Adding a bit of burlap ribbon to a couple of the jars helped lengthen them, creating a cluster shape. The burlap also softens the look.
The Husband attached an adapter to our existing porch light, making the lights controllable from a switch--but you could easily use an extension cord. This makes a perfect light for my early morning quiet time reading.
~ xo

18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
All Things Heart and Home

• Tammy
    Tammy

I love this and I think it’s beautiful but perhaps Hometalk.com has it misrepresented as using a string of Christmas lights when you used a strand of fairy lights. I do love it though. I have battery operated fairy lights but using 3 AA batteries per strand which don’t last long and a 40$ hook minimum if you can one, is too expensive for me. But I do love it!

• Tam
      Tam

Hi Tammy.... I did not think your comment was negative...it seems like you were just being informative...no 'smh'.... you're good!

• Jeanne Martin
    Jeanne Martin

I'm definitely doing this outside my garage door, both sides. I rent and there are no lights outside my garage. I found nifty hooks that fit into vinyl siding (no damage!) so I just need to make or find a hook that sticks out a little from the wall. I already have the solar inserts for mason jars. Thanks for the idea! I've been searching for months for two sconces I could convert to solar to no avail....but I like the look of this much better.

• Jeanne Martin
      Jeanne Martin

Yes! But I only made one set and hung them on my patio. It provides beautiful ambient lighting. I love them and get alot of compliments. It just wasn't bright enough for outside my garage. To make it even easier I found mason jar lids that have a solar light in them at Hobby Lobby. Just twist and go!