Create That Weathered Wood Look...

I've pulled a snipped out of a larger blog post for you to day to show you how you can turn a raw wood product into a weather and aged looking wood piece... these just happen to be ottoman feet!... for all of the details on how to prepare the ottoman feet with the hardware and for additional detailed photos be sure to checkout the blogpost - link at the end
Weathered Wood Furniture Feet
Weathered Wood Furniture Feet
Here are the final product... nice and weathered and aged looking... just how I like.
Naked Furniture Feet
Naked Furniture Feet
Prior to painting the feet looked like this... nice soft maple turned wood feet...
Making a Paint Wash
Making a Paint Wash
I create a paint wash using FAT paint chalk paint at a ratio of about 2 water to one paint... I put the paint and water into a mixing bowl and give it a swish around with my cling on brush... then paint the wood all over
My first wash I do using a brown based grey...
Painted Washed Wood - still wet
Painted Washed Wood - still wet
Don't fret if it looks weird and splotchy... just give it a bit of time to dry... pour yourself up a nice glass of wine and reward yourself for the work that is underway! ;)
First Paint Wash Layer Dried
First Paint Wash Layer Dried
When the paint wash has dried it will be much lighter...
Preparing Paint Wash Layer Two
Preparing Paint Wash Layer Two
For the second wash I used a blue based grey... and doing the same with mixing paint and water in a bowl to prepare the paint wash... once thoroughly mixed I paint the legs with this second paint wash...
I find that the two different greys help to create a final colour that I like and add depth and dimension to the to wood
Experiment with Dabbing Some Wash Off
Experiment with Dabbing Some Wash Off
Experiment and play with your paint washes... do some test boards before tackling your projects... try playing with the paint and water ratio... try dabbing some of the wash off to see how these different techniques will help you to create a weathered wood look that you love... there is no right or wrong way - tweak the steps to suit your taste!
Paint Wash Layer Two Drying
Paint Wash Layer Two Drying
Here are the feet after the second wash... still drying they look splotchy and dark...
Second Layer of Paint Wash Dried
Second Layer of Paint Wash Dried
...once the second wash has dried the colour on the wood is nice and even and it is considerably lighter that what the wash looked like
Apply a Coat of Natural Wax
Apply a Coat of Natural Wax
Now I don't like to leave things like wooden feet unwaxed as if someone spills a dark drink onto this wood it could stain the wood... I like to wax the wood to seal it... I apply natural wax to seal the wood and to create a slip for the second coloured wax that I will apply to the wood to make it nice and weathered looking.
Buff the Natural Wax
Buff the Natural Wax
After applying the natural wax with a stiff bristles brush and letting it it sit for five minutes I buff it with a piece of cheese cloth... making sure to get all of the nooks and crannies...
Bust out the White Wax
Bust out the White Wax
The clear wax enhances the wood grain and darkens the paint wash considerably... the colour is really beautiful but not quite the washed and weathered look I wanted for my project... so I busted out the white wax...
Coat that Sucker in White Wax
Coat that Sucker in White Wax
Apply white wax all over the surface using a stiff bristled brush and let it sit a few minutes while you fluff up your cheesecloth for buffing...
Lightly Buff the White Wax Layer
Lightly Buff the White Wax Layer
Now when buffing off the white wax I am not nearly as vigorous as I want to leave traces of white wax in the crevices and a white haze over the wood... a light gentle buff should do the trick...
TADA! The Weathered Wood Look!
TADA! The Weathered Wood Look!
Once buffed I installed these newly weathered wood feet on my newly reupholstered ottoman... stay tuned for that reveal coming in the next few days!... and be sure to checkout the blog post for even more detail about creating the weathered wood look, and for a coupon code for these gorgeous feet from Osborne Wood Products! ;)

• Wood  (Osborne Wood Products)
  • FAT Paint  (The FAT Paint Company)
  • CLING ON brush  (Feathering My Nest)

Feathering My Nest - Lacey Haskell

• Mary McNevins

If you have an end table do you need to sand it first?

• Susan

Yes - you will only get this result if you have bare unfinished wood. You can, however, paint the piece a light color and use glazes to achieve a very similar look.

• Hi Mary! yes to get the driftwood look taking the finish back to raw wood is what you need to do in order to stain the wood... if the wood is painted or stained the paint wash will not penetrate. I've been sanding down some old chairs and refinishing the wood parts in this driftwood washy style - it has a real great weathered look as you can see the grain in the wood :) Checkout my Diamond Tufted Chair Post to see the dark stained wood chair that made into the beachy washed up wood look! :)

• Elisabeth Mcmahon

coud you do a table top like this?

• Gina

Yes. But table tops are trickier. I'd put an extra layer of wax on for tables. It takes 3 weeks to fully cure so use coasters and no harsh cleaning chemicals. And nothing heavy until that time.

• Hi Elisabeth! you totally can to a table top like this - make sure it is stripped of any existing finish and is back to bare wood first! I would also recommend slightly wetting the full table top to help you spread the paint wash evenly over the full table top surface - you could use a spray bottle to spritz the table before and during to help you get an even wash over the surface! :)

• Mary Angela

Paint, what are the exact paint colors you used as well as brand.

• Patricia Kobar Abbott

Cedar chest is maple? Would I have To sand it first? Thank you, for all your help! Pat

• Jo Ellen Gambill Barnett

This "Osborn Wood Products " -- is that where you got the feet ?