Alicia Vance
Alicia Vance
  • Santa Rosa, CA

Sofa covering. Fabric vs Leather. Type of Fabric.

Sia@South 47thPolly ZieperTherese C
+2

I am on a quest to find the perfect sofa. My current dilemma is what would the best covering be for a sofa living with three small children (new born - 4yrs). Fabric vs leather? Assuming fabric, which type? I love the look of linen, but am really wanting something that will hold up over time and is relatively cleanable. Does anyone have wisdom to share on this topic? Thank you
  • LandlightS

I feel REAL leather would best, especially with kids. We have a leather sectional that is close to 15 years old, and with proper care shows virtually no wear. That includes a German Shepard and now a Lab that loves to sleep on it and 2 grandchildren. When looking for leather,,,,, do not buy "bonded leather" it will not wear well, Fabrics are great, but with kids, will require much more detailed cleaning, Good luck, Gary

• Alicia Vance

Thank you Gary! Leather is my first choice. I just assumed it isn't child friendly. ;D

• Therese C

Microfiber!!! My daughter has raised all three kids on her microfiber couch and loveseat. They look really good for surviving kids and pets! The cushion covers simply come off and go right into the washer and then dry on low cycle. How easy is that?

• Polly Zieper

Leather is more child-friendly than fabric, not as soft, and gets a bit hot and Sticky if a sweaty child falls asleep on it, but its easily washable with gentle baby wipes or the new leather wipes our market now has.If you have kids, a fabric sofa will get dirty so quickly, I would never go back to Fabric again!-Has to be professionally cleaned, gets 'pulls or runs' from velcro or buckles, etc, just not as sturdy, although somewhat more comfy to sit/lie on.

• Sia@South 47th

If price is not a concern, then get the sofa covered in top of the line leather, which will wear forever if properly cared for. Whatever you do, stay away from Linen. It will be a nightmare to keep clean with kids.