Dori Lies
Dori Lies
  • Branson, MO

How do I keep my shower tile clean from soap scum?

Dori LiesBeckyRita
+19

My tile showers are starting to look bad from soap scum. How do I keep them clean?
  • Bonnie D

2 parts vinegar and one part Dawn in a spray bottle. Spray on tile, let set, scrub lightly and rinse.

• Dori Lies

Thank you again Bonnie! I appreciate your comment and will give it a try!

• Z

Once it's clean buy yourself a squeegee and use it on all surfaces after each shower. I also keep a magic sponge in my shower to use when needed too. Rarely do I have to do any more cleaning than those two things.

• Trent-Tonya Sharp

We have been in our new home for four yrs and no soap scum ... HOW ?? I clean with baking soda, after I clean I use Rain X a small amount on a wet cloth goes a long way,

• Rebecque D

In GA we have hard water and soap scum that builds up in our showers and over the years I have tried may things including wd40. The only thing I found to really work is Bar Keepers Friend. You can find it in the cleaning aisle in many stores. Is comes in a gold can and looks a lot like comet. The difference is that is is not as abrasive due to their secret ingredient-acid! Wear gloves to protect your hands.

• Therese C

Rain X is good, or baby oil on a rag. Once you have it clean, rub the Rain X or baby oil on the walls of the shower. (be careful not to get it on the floor of the shower..slippery!) If you have glass shower doors, use the Rain X on them.

• Valerie G

Sounds crazy... but dryer sheets cut through soap scum - just dampen them in wipe over the tiles.

• Ella

@Valerie G Just tried the dampen dryer sheets.....worked perfectly.... simple and easy..... we have very hard Well water.....good for drinking .....I will also apply the Rain X after...to slow the soap scum.

• Dori Lies

Thank you all for your comments! I have 3 showers with tile and glass doors so will give each of them a try with your suggestions.

• Sia@South 47th

Pls let us know which one worked better for you Dori!

• Bonnie D

Let us know what works best! Sia and I will happily let you try the Rain X, baby oil, etc.

• Jeanette S

When we moved to a new home, I knew I did not want to spend a lot of time scrubbing tile...don't mind spraying it down and rinsing it for sanitation, but spending hours cleaning is not my choice. So I instigated a routine that your bath towel was to be used to wipe down surfaces when after you finished drying your body! Now, almost 43 years later, my bathrooms look like they are new. It can be done!

• Peg

I have squeegies in my showers too. Everyone has to wipe off excess water and soap after showering. Less time cleaning for me. Keeps the surfaces looking better.

• Kelli Sickles

I have heard that Rain X works great but I also heard that if you use any type of car wax twice a year it works great too.

• Cindy

First thing I have done is get rid of all bar soap...it is the biggest bad guy for scum. As has already been mentioned...after showering, spray down all soap and squeegee down everything...it only takes a min. or two extra and I only clean my show once a month, really sanitize...other wise I spray scrubbing bubbles and spray down. Lastly ....only use liquid soap ....or u will get scum.

• Dori Lies

Thank you everyone for your comments. I did try Bonnie's formula of white vinegar and Dawn dishsoap and that did the trick. I have purchased Rain X and a squeege to keep it spot free. I also agree with Cindy that bar soap leaves quite a scum and have switched to liquid soap and a scrubbie. Again, thanks everyone!

• Sia@South 47th

@Dori Lies Thank you for letting us know which worked best! @Bonnie D We have our answer! ;) xo

• Sherrie

If you have travertine tile and are using vinegar it will break it down. Even through vinegar is considered natural it should be used with caution on tile. If this is a surround tub and shower with no tile vinegar would make a wonderful cleaner.

• Rita

Use Benaz to clean soap scum off tile and glass. Order on line--pfokus.com Best product on the market. Bar soap is what creates soap scum, if you use liquid soap you'll notice a huge difference. Bleach and vinegar are the worst things you can use on your grout. Benaz cleans soap scum and hard water spots on glass and tile.

• Becky

Clean the tiles well, then use car wax! It works great!

• Dori Lies

Tank you all for your comments! I have tried many of these suggested solutions and they do work!!!