Nancy at Craft Your Happiness
Nancy at Craft Your Happiness
  • Hot Springs National Park, AR

Sensational & Inexpensive Portable Grill

Make your summer sensational with this stunning DIY portable grill and skewer set! It’s a larger version of our Mini Campfire Smores Kit and you can actually BBQ burgers and hot dogs on it! This one has LOTS of photos and details. VISIT OUR POST HERE FOR ALL PHOTOS & DOWNLOADS
sensational inexpensive portable grill, crafts, how to, outdoor furniture, outdoor living
SUPPLIES
NOTE: Make sure you buy a typical heavy clay pot with no glaze on the inside. They are put through a kiln so will withstand high temperatures as long as the change is not sudden. Never put water on the briquettes when finished as the sudden temperature change will crack the pot. Also, NEVER touch the pot when cooking as it gets very hot.
(On our post items are linked to Amazon when available.)
12″ Plain Clay Pot (The one shown was $6.00 at Walmart)
Charcoal Briquettes
Rust-Oleum High Heat Spray Paint (For inside the pot. Comes in various colors.)
Copper Spray Paint
Acrylic Paints of choice (we used two shades of teal and a coral)
Foil
Welded Wire Mesh with 1/2″ grid that will be cut to 11.5″x 11.5″ (can be purchased at most hardware stores by the foot.)
Wire cutters
Set of 4 wire skewers ($2 at Walmart)
Sticky Back Craft Foam Sheets
Craft String or yarn
Pattern download FREE on our site.
These are the basics that you need for your portable grill.
Though not shown, if you want your pot to not darken and discolor on the outside you must use high heat spray paint on the inside. It comes in a variety of colors. (Link on our site to source)
We spray painted ours copper.
Grab our FREE PATTERN DOWNLOAD HERE then cut it out.
Trace it onto your pot. (etails on our site)
Paint your pot.
The How To for the arrow skewers is on our site.
Cut your wire mesh to just cover the pot and fold down the corners.
Seal the bottom then fill the pot with loosely rolled foil.
Add your Briquettes.
The grill in use!
Nancy at Craft Your Happiness

• Hfuhrer

Flower Pot Grill...how close to top of pot should charcoal be for cooking hotdogs or hamburgers?

• I'm not sure there's an exact answer for that but I'm not a regular barbecue either. It should work the same as any bbq that uses coals . My daugther cooked thick steaks on them and it appears they were about 5" from the top but those take longer to cook. So I would think a thin layer of coals 3" or so would be good for burgers or hotdogs. Maybe someone with more bbq knowledge can answer. Ü

• Cindy

Is the wire mesh made of galvanized steel?

• Dolores

I wonder if using a small, round cooling rack would be easier, healthier, snap to clean...?

• Nannette

Do you have to use paint at all?

• No, no paint needed. That's just for aesthetics only. Though the inside high temp paint would make it last longer I'm sure and also keep it from turning back on the outside.

• Joy martin

This is so neat!!

• Vicki Bushert

This is not safe for food. The mesh you use most likely has zinc in it. Or even worse could have cadmium Remember metal can be welded with lead solder. So you never know exactly what was used in the making of the mesh. While People take zinc in vitamin form, this type of mesh is just not safe for cooking food on. I would suggest instead using a replacement metal rack from the BBQ area of your local hardware store or even a metal cooling rack made for food use.

• Hey Vicki! Someone brought that up in the question area of this post. There's a lot of various "info" on this topic. The FDA says for most foods its safe aside from really acidic ones. If it's heated incredibly hot, much more so than you would cook with, you can burn any zinc off... but the easiest way to alleviate this concern is like you said to use a small metal replacement rack... or I believe I suggest this on my full site post... to spray it with a heat resistant coating. Thanks for the input!