Sfg178760
Sfg178760
  • Sacramento, CA

What could I put in these?

MssmatchSherry MSia@South 47th
+34

These are a couple of old chick/chicken feeders and my first idea with them was to make a bird feeder, but I decided to put them in front of this unused door on my porch instead. I know I could put plants in them, but one is really rusty and I may end up selling them so I don't want to put dirt in them. I am so not a fake flower person, but I want color in them! What say you, and you and you?
The galvanized and old rusty feeders...
The galvanized and old rusty feeders...
Hangs on the old chippy painted door with the cute door knocker that says, "Shhhh!"  ;o)
Hangs on the old chippy painted door with the cute door knocker that says, "Shhhh!" ;o)
The corner of the porch where they hang!
  • Judy

Dried flowers? I was trying to think more natural and rustic. The only other thing off the top of my head is putting some succulents in the top one since you can put them in moss and just spritz to water. I'll keep thinking!

• Sfg178760

I like the dried flower idea...not as colorful as I would like but I it is a great option! Thanks!

• Therese C

Ivy in the bottom and impatiens in the top?

• Valerie G

how about bacopa and lobelia on the botton and verberna in the upper tray?

• Sia@South 47th

Well I LOVE these and would buy them in a New York minute! So I can see why you do not wish to put dirt/water etc. in them for re-sale purposes. How about Dried Lavender Bunches? Or Dried Roses, mixed with some Baby's Breath? That would give you a nice wee bit of colour!

• Alexandra Arena

How about some long candlesticks to make a candelabra! :)

• Vicki

fake flowers w/ battery xmas lite.

• Sia@South 47th

IDK why, but I'm crushing on these right now LOL!! I think it's because the're rusty and I love rusty stuff. Why not bring them indoors and use them to hold knitting needles, crochet hooks, pens, wooden pencils with some funky cool erasers (in the 'feeder' with the holes) or rolled up handmade paper, maps, sheet music that has been color washed, pennants that you've diy'd, etc. Ck out Karen @Karen - The Graphics Fairy for some nice printable's! Free ones to boot!

• Sfg178760

Sia@South 47th... you can buy them !!! o) Also...it thought of some bright green moss that I got for a gnome garden I built...what do you all think about putting that in it???

• Sia@South 47th

@My Gnome Little World Good grief Kurt would KILL me if I brought in anything else LOL!!! But email me with your price!!! I L O V E the moss idea. Yep!!! Is it the fake moss? 'Cause I don't want you putting water on my gems heheheee j/k. ;)

• Sfg178760

Iit is real moss, but you don't need to water it! It is kind of like dried flowers! Hey wait...you live in Sac? We lived there in Curtis Park! We go every year as my brother and his family lives in Land Park. I lived in SF for around 20 years before that! I will email you! Oh, I just tried to message you and it said you had to be following me?? Still new to the Hometalk!

• Dee

I would put succulents in them.

• Tena Barke

herbs - keep them handy! or lettuce - use as needed

• Sfg178760

Uh...no live plants for these rusty or steel lovelies! But see below to see what I finally DID do!

• Sfg178760

This may be just temporary since I had the stuff on hand...if I find something else down the road maybe I will change it out. I am thinking I still may re-arrange the moss/stick arrangement I have there now! But you get the point!

what could i put in these, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling, I had left over moss from my gnome garden project so I stuck them in my rusty and galvanized steel lovelies along with some stickswhat could i put in these, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling, Close up of the colorful moss Oh when I went in my twig filled yard to find extras for my moss arrangement I found half a blue egg shell so cute Maybe I should tuck that in with the mix
  • Margaret Dick

These would be perfect to grow leaf lettuce in on the porch. When you need some lettuce for sandwiches they are close at hand. I have one on my porch and I love it.

• Becca Frierson

why hen and chicken succulent of course .. lol's ...

• Lgsmith

I like what you did with them. I would keep it like that. Spots of color, woody effects and very fairy appearing. . Great!

• JeDonne M

I love the simplicity of what you did with the flowers. And being able to change them out is great. I see branches with bright berries in my head. Gonna have to find me some chicken feeders! Another thought, what about some small candle cups or other type of containers to put into the holes, then you could plant some small flowers or succulents, lifting out the cups when you're done.

• Debbie Wilfong

Dried herbs and live flowers. Just put a small jar/thimble in one or two holes and have the best of both worlds

• Cathy Kurpil

Air plants...I love them and they don't need soil :) And perhaps some spanish moss.

• Sfg178760

Ha...air plants would be a great idea...but not sure where to get them in Vermont! Or I can smuggle them back from our house in FL the next time we visit!

• Judy

LOVE what you did!!! Organic, bright, and rustic. Brilliant!

• JB

I too was thinking the hens & chicks succulents...it's a natural :)

• Brenda Smith

I have just the lower part and use it as a centerpiece putting flowers into each hole. Mine was spray painted dull gold when I got it

• Ellen Whalen

Hen & chicks in one and other succulents in the other! You can put them in smaller containers inside if you don't want any water in your treasures.

• Bonnie Lewenza

You can plant Hens and chicks or other succulents.

• Frankie Laney

I think adding air plants and some little tea lights and moss will look great as well.

• Judy Johnson Wilson

You can put live plants in them without ruining them. Either find a liner that fits or 1 you can cut to fit, or put the plants in small pots that fit inside. You can fill in around the pots with moss. Succulents, herbs, small tea roses, or mix it up for added interest and color. All the other ideas are great also.

• AmericanWoman

I like your project! Thanks.

• Sherry

You could also hang them in the kitchen and store potatoes or garlic in them

• KMcG73

OurOwnBigWorld - OMG I have two feeders nearly the exactly the same as yours and I've been sooo stumped as to what to do with them! I love what you've done with yours, thanks for the inspiration!

• Sia@South 47th

@My Gnome Little World Just went to your blog! GREAT work from you two!! Oh and Curtis Park? WISH we could have bought there! But we ended up on the South Side *it's on my blog* Helping a friend and it helped us, so a Two-fer! SF? I lived there for 5 years in Nob Hill, at the top where the cable cars meet! LOVED IT! I also lived in the "Tenderloin" for 30 days! HAHAHAHA, what can I say, it was cheap, and I wanted the 'experience' LOL!!!

• Sfg178760

Sia...My husband bought the house 12 years before we sold it...so that helped and he redid the whole thing! Fortunately, we sold it before the housing market got crazy bad there. I lived in several hoods in SF. My husband and I want to live there again...but the job market in our fields are still not back to normal there. One Day...VT for now and trips down to the house in FL now and then!

• Sia@South 47th

Well, hope to see you when you come back out to the West Coast!!

• Sherry M

I love all of the ideas everyone has. But for me it's plants, plants, plants. I can never get enough of them. I just had to sell all mine to raise money for my dog to have surgery. In two months, through garage sales and thrift shops, I have already increased my container gardening to what it was. It's been so much fun finding containers, not just pots, to put succulents into. Just go for it.

• Mssmatch

this is what I did with mine....in the top one I have it full of fake ears of corn. Then, with the band saw I cut out little wood chicks, painted them and stood them in the bottom feeder like the are pecking the corn. Sign says hens rule the roost!