How do you get rid of sink/drain flies?

+69
I would like to know how to get rid those pesty little sink/drain flies. I've tried baking soda and vinegar, drain cleaners and put plastic over the drains.
q how do you get rid of sink drain flies , bathroom ideas, home maintenance repairs, pest control, plumbing, Pesty sink drain flies
Pesty sink/drain flies
  • Karen608 Karen608 on Jul 05, 2016
    Have you tried ammonia, left in sink traps over night? Do you keep all dishes washed up, and don't leave fruit/bananas in the kitchen? Don't mix ammonia and bleach EVER, makes toxic gas. Try a bleach solution in the drain/sink trap. Also look up how to make gnat/fly traps. Best of luck to you.
  • Gail Gail on Jul 05, 2016
    Our pest control guys that comes out for ants, mentioned just using a cup of bleach every night and covering it with a wash cloth or something to keep them trapped. It has worked for us!
  • Kat Kat on Jul 05, 2016
    we had a ton of them last year and they're already beginning now. I've done the trap thingy with soap/vinegar/sugar - worked for a bit for some but didnt take them away! tried putting bleach down the drain, nope. they are aggravating - they get in your face, your food/drink - I keep petfoods, regular food, everything spotlessly clean, wash cans, meat styrofoam, any food goes directly to the outside can and then way out in the woods. havent found anything to work!!! even the pest control cant get rid of!!! sad.....
  • Deisenhart2010 Deisenhart2010 on Jul 05, 2016
    I keep a mixture of dish soap and vinegar in a shot glass size container anywhere I have a problem. The vinegar attracts them and the soap catches them
  • Kim Kim on Jul 05, 2016
    Same problem here! Thanks all for the suggestions!
  • Deb Baleston Deb Baleston on Jul 05, 2016
    As soon as I bring any produce into the house, I immediately give them a diluted vinegar/water bath up to 10 min. then a quick water dip/rinse. Not only is your produce clean and safe to to eat but I never get fruit flies in the house. By the way, I use vinegar to clean ALL surfaces as well. Hope it helps you.
  • Sophia,M.,McConnery Sophia,M.,McConnery on Jul 05, 2016
    Interesting.I have used the baking soda vinegar mix and it did work.Did have a lot of them here 6 years ago when I first moved into this townhouse.They were in the drains,in the kitchen,and in the living room.The furnace vents (gas furnace),were infested.Cleaned them out.After cleaning the out put whole moth balls down the vents.Have not had a fruit fly since!
  • Fred Fred on Jul 05, 2016
    Pour vinegar down the drain and cover the opening. After a few minutes uncover the drain and run hot tap water down until steam is coming out of the drain. If the problem comes back it's okay to repeat.
  • Jorja Love Jorja Love on Jul 05, 2016
    I have had this problem every spring for years and have tried all the above homemade and store bought suggestions and nothing seemed to work for me. I've especially noticed that these flies are really, really attracted to my coffee after I sweeten it (I drink a lot of coffee and I now keep my cups covered), so I started keeping a little warm sweet-smelling soapy dish water in the wash tub - I use one of those cheap, fruit scented, bubbly detergents and the flies get attracted to the scent, go to it, get stuck in the bubbles or water and drown. In the evening, I empty and rinse the tub, then cover the drain.
  • Susan Walsh Harrington Susan Walsh Harrington on Jul 05, 2016
    This one works for me! Pour 1/2 to 1 cup of cider vinegar in an open container. Put in 1-2 drops dishwashing liquid and leave it on the countertop. It attracts the fruit flies and they drown.
    • Larkatchi Larkatchi on Jul 05, 2016
      The same thing I do. It works. I put it in a clear juice glass and in one day the fruit flies are gone.
  • RoseAnn Toulson RoseAnn Toulson on Jul 05, 2016
    In "fruit-fly" season, I pour a bit of bleach down every drain in the house and let it stand for a while ... as recommended by a seasoned pest control service person.
  • Ginger Trigg Ginger Trigg on Jul 05, 2016
    I've used Clorox in mine, let it set covered for 30 mins then flush with hot water.
  • MadameRã MadameRã on Jul 05, 2016
    •As a Believer in plants for medicines, & many other positive 'things', this problem is common all over the world, however i keep an average size spray botle, using distilled water fill to the line indicated on most good bottles, now the expence is initially high but over a long period of time it actually is cheaper...collect some good aroma therapy oils, being clove & orange, place 8-10 drops of each, additionally black pepper oil adding 5-6 drops, then shake really well then use everywhere needed, you can even wipe frequently with a sponge to clean the bathroom(do remember to always shake before use, this activates the ingredients)... All critters hate it..& yes i always keep my bottle & cloths in my bathroom.. Oh, the smell is quite lovely as its different & feels earthy. Use frequently & you will discover how less the problem becomes,& Mother Earth will thank you to. Happy creating smartness:)) Madame Ra
  • Barbara C Barbara C on Jul 05, 2016
    Fruit flies are attracted to rotten fruit. Make sure to check fresh fruit and veggies in fruit bowls daily .Can sometimes be found in damp soil around house plants.
  • Shells Shells on Jul 05, 2016
    Those are not fruit flies....they are sewer flies. That normally mean you have a breach in your sewer lines that are allowing the flies to come into your home. See when the last time you had your septic tank checked or cleaned out. If it's city hook up....you may want to give them a call. Beware the breach could be on your side of the line if it's city sewer. Peace!
    • See 2 previous
    • Brenda Dixon Brenda Dixon on Aug 04, 2018

These can seem to live in drains that aren't used frequently. I get them in the bathtub drain (I have another shower elsewhere, due to high iron content in the water), and once they're spotted, taking a bath usually rids the problem for a few months. I haven't found anything that will kill them though.

• Jpe6277611 Jpe6277611 on Jul 05, 2016
    I poor boiling down the drain.
  • Job7956378 Job7956378 on Jul 05, 2016
    For the drain flies (sewer flies) we poured vegetable oil down the drains in the public restrooms in commercial buildings that we used to manage. Where I work now management pours linseed oil down the drains. Either works.
  • Kay Forbes-Smith Kay Forbes-Smith on Jul 05, 2016
    Boiling water worked for us. Just for good measure we let the hot water from the faucet run for about 10 mins after that.
  • Melody Melody on Jul 05, 2016
    You have to get rid of the food source, hair, soap or food scraps. Try using a wire coat hanger to grab on to glob. Once removed, use baking soda and vinegar to foam-scour pipes.
  • Christina Thomson Christina Thomson on Jul 05, 2016
    I had fruit flies around the sink when I inadvertently left the compost bin open! I searched on You Tube and found a solution! Take a 2litre empty plastic bottle and cut it about 1/4 way down .Fill 1/2 way up this bottom part with a mixture of dregs of red win or vinegar and a piece of rotting fruit like a strawberry or piece of pear .( no citrus fruit) Then take the upper part minus the lid and invert it on the bottom part. Shake the liquid and let it settle. Keep on draining board near the sink and watch the flies drown themselves! This was VERY successful for me. Hope it works for you. ( I only needed to do this for 3 days and they were gone never to return!)
    • DORLIS DORLIS on Jul 05, 2016
      yOU CAN ALSO VACUMN THEM UP. mAY TAKE A COUPLE OF TIMES, BUT DOES WORK. I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL FOR A WEEK AND COULD NOT CLEAN UP BEFORE LEFT THE HOUSE. CAME HOME TO AN INVASION OF FRUIT FLIES. i HAD A TRAP, BUT THERE WERE SO MANY, DECIDED TO TRY THE VACUMN.
  • Mary Beth Carrier Mary Beth Carrier on Jul 05, 2016
    We had this problem several years ago and a friend who owns a restaurant told her exactly what to do and it was great. In the plumbing department of most big box stores you can find main line drain cleaners. You follow the directions on the bottle which include covering every drain in your home with a damp rag before bedtime. We woke up the next morning and flushed the drains with hot water and never saw another pesky drain fly again! It was like a $8 bottle of magic!
    • Natasha Natasha on Jun 07, 2018
      Yes! I agree! That MainLine product really doesvwork!! And the greatest part about it is that they have a money back guarantee. Thats one of the best companies I have ever heard of!
  • GBear GBear on Jul 05, 2016
    It's best if you can remove the p trap and clean it out. If not, use a foaming drain cleanser or vinegar & baking soda. Rinse for several minutes with hot water. Let dry a little bit and treat with linseed oil. Do this once a month (Linseed oil) until problem is gone.
  • Kat6587025 Kat6587025 on Jul 05, 2016
    A exterminater told us to pour 1/2 cup bleach down each drain for 7 nights in a row. Pour the bleach at night so it remains in the drain while you sleep. Pour down every drain, kitchen and bathroom sinks, tubs, showers, washer drain.
  • Spr4270109 Spr4270109 on Jul 05, 2016
    Take one half cup of baking soda pour down drain than take a cup of white vinegar , pour the vinegar down the drain... Let sizzle for about ten minutes ... Take boiling hot water about 6 cups n pour down drain... How do this to all your drains at the turn of each season..
  • 861650 861650 on Jul 05, 2016
    I researched this last year and I finally found the best option. For each drain in your home, buy one gallon of bleach. Slowly pour the entire gallon in the first drain. Let set overnight. In the morning, run hot water down drain for a couple of minutes. Remember, only do one drain each night till you have treated them all. I did place a post-it-note at each drain to remind me not to run any water. It is helpful to do this at bedtime...
  • Kathy Bitzan Kathy Bitzan on Jul 05, 2016
    On a garbage disposal pull out the rubber ring and give it a good washing and soak in vinegar or bleach.
  • Carolyn Jean Ross Carolyn Jean Ross on Jul 05, 2016
    I agree with both the bleach and bicarb/vinegar remedies (unless you have a septic tank, in which case the bleach would be a very bad idea) - and to keep them from coming back, make a point of flushing the drain every time you use it. These flies thrive on decomposing organic material stuck in your drain - keeping the drain as clean as possible will help combat them. (The bleach will kill flies and bacteria but not necessarily the eggs - when they hatch, if there's anything in the drain for them to eat you'll have to start over.
  • Pat Bradfield Pat Bradfield on Jul 05, 2016
    Pour boiling water down drains once weekly. This will clear the slime out of the drain and therefore get rid of those nasty drain flies
  • Janie Janie on Jul 05, 2016
    I use a small pickle jar and put a mixture of apple cider vinegar and maple syrup in it. I poke a few holes in the lid with an ice pick. I put this on the side of my sink and catch both drain flies and the tiny fruit flies. Hope this helps.
  • Susie Rufener Susie Rufener on Jul 05, 2016
    I use apple cider vinegar and a few drops of dish soap in a small jar with holes in it. Or even a small disposable plastic container with holes in lid. Keep on counter and it will attract fruit flies and gnats.
  • Rosel Kynast Rosel Kynast on Jul 05, 2016
    I agree with Kathy, clean the rubber insert. Cut a lemon in 4th and put it down the disposal, I do that ones a month. It will clean and freshen the disposal.
  • Chanwoo KIM Chanwoo KIM on Jul 05, 2016
    Pour hot water into your sink drain...
  • Charly Charly on Jul 05, 2016
    First of all, take all food off the counters. Fruit flies reproduce in the drain so you should pour Apple cider vinegar down the drain, wait about fifteen minutes and then pour boiling water down the drain to flush out the drain. You may have to do this again but it's relatively simple and inexpensive with no harsh chemicals to worry about.
  • Melody Stern Melody Stern on Jul 05, 2016
    Those are sludge knats! The sludge is created because there is a deteriation of the drain pipe below your house where water is seeping through the pipe creating a pool of sludge! The knats are coming up through the opening in the pipe! You should have this fixed right away! If the problem is not too bad, you may find a plumber to fix it, however, if it has grown to a large area, over a long period,most plumbers will insist you call a specialist to remove or cover the sludge! Sludge can become dangerous as eventually, it will begin to emit gasses! Check w/your local hardware store to obtain bags of the proper cover and spread over the area to soak up the sludge,once you have the broken pipe fixed, you will no longer have those pesky knats!!!
  • Barbara C Barbara C on Jul 05, 2016
    The Fruit Flies are coming from the drain because they live and breed where it is dark and damp.Never heard of sludge gnats.,The Fruit Flies are attracted to and eat rotten and spoiled fruit and veggies.Get rid of all spoiled edibles in the kitchen.Keep drains rinsed out after every use.
  • Dee B Dee B on Jul 05, 2016
    Never heard of sludge gnats ( knats), but I got rid of gnats in my drain by spraying a solution of 50/50 H2O and bleach after I clean the kitchen each night.
  • Janice Peterson Janice Peterson on Jul 05, 2016
    just a note: original post was about drain flies. these are different from fruit flies.
  • Michelle Michelle on Jul 05, 2016
    I agree with the remove all fruit. I keep it in the fridge in the warmer months. I live in the south HUGE problem. Boiling water down the drain and removal seems to work. It takes a few times with the boiling water.
    • Niki Burrows Niki Burrows on Jul 06, 2016
      These look bigger than fruit flies, but I had a 3 yr infestation of fruit flies and the only thing that finally worked was pouring the thicker Clorox down the drain. You might try that.
  • Bz Bz on Jul 05, 2016
    I sprinkled comet over my drains at night. Leave it set overnight. Do it every night for about 5 nights. Never had a problem again. Its been 2 years. I have fruit on the counter and still no problem. I believe I had drain gnats.