Easy Chalk Paint Upcycle Project - Old Office Bookcase Makeover

See how an ugly old office bookcase was transformed with chalk paint into a beautiful storage showpiece (no waxing required!)
easy chalk paint upcycle project old office bookcase makeover, chalk paint, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas
As with most of my furniture pieces this was given to us by friends when we needed furniture in our new home in the Netherlands.
Whilst being very functional it did not exactly fit into the decor I had envisioned for our home.
So I decided to set to work and give it a bit of a makeover.
First I removed the plastic roller cover.
Filled the large screw holes with wood filler and sanded them down to a smooth finish.
I used two colours from the Everlong Chalk Paint's coastal range.
'Porcelain' was used on the inside of the bookcase and 'grecian blue' on the outside.
I used 3 coats in total but probably could have got away with 2.
Once the bookcase was completely dry I sanded it to a smooth finish.
I then only had to buff the piece with a soft cloth because there is no need to wax with Everlong chalk paint (I love this!)
This gave a lovely soft sheen.
As luck would have it I managed to find some cardboard storage boxes that matched perfectly for €3.99 a piece.
Then I went on to the fun bit of dressing the piece.
Because of the beautiful colour I decided to go with a bit of a coastal theme and used bits and bobs that I had already lying around the house.
This has now totally inspired me to redecorate the rest of the loft bedroom :)
For more detailed instructions pop over to the blog .... :)

• Old Office Bookcase  (Was Given To Me)
  • Everlong Chalk Paint  (Everlong Paint (Available online))
Sam Franklin

• Ros7029205

It looks great! But did you have to sand it down before you painted it?

• Sam Franklin

Hi Rosanna, no there was no need to sand it down apart from where I had filled the screw holes with filler, which I sanded until it was totally smooth and flat. For the rest I just gave it a good wash and allowed it to dry.

• Blindsgalore

What a difference a little color can make. Great job!

• Sam Franklin

Yes I was pleasantly surprised how it turned out - the 'Grecian Blue' looked quite different before I applied it to the bookcase.

• ThomasMaloney

isn't it wonderful what a little bit of effort and chalk can do to change the look of your storage cupboards!

• Sam Franklin

Yes it's certainly a satisfying feeling when you can stand back and are able to admire your own handwork :)