Rosalee Carruthers
Rosalee Carruthers
  • Levelland, TX

Uses for herbs

Rosalee Carruthers360 Sod (Donna Dixson)Peg
+4

I grow various herbs in my garden just because I like them but not sure what dishes to use them in. I know what to do with oregano, marjoram, mint, chives etc. but not sure about others. I have purple sage because its beautiful but any ideas how I can use it? I also grow tarragon with the intent of using with fish but are there other uses for it?
  • Tarragon chicken is fantastic too. Try placing it over chicken breasts on the BBQ and the smoke will infuse the chicken.

• Rosalee Carruthers

Thanks Satori... I will give it a try

I believe purple sage tastes just like regular sage. Tarragon is a frequent addition to chicken salad, as well. Try making infused simple syrups with some of your herbs to add to drinks.

• Rosalee Carruthers

Hmm... thanks Douglas, never thought about putting them in drinks.

• Peg

Use sprigs of them in the house to freshen the air! When I had a wood stove, I put them in pot of water that was kept on top of the stove to add fresh scent to the air in the winter. I also brought bunches of them with us camping and spread them around to repel biting bugs.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

freezing mint in ice is fun. You can also freeze edible flowers in ice as well for the punch bowl or glass.

• Rosalee Carruthers

Thanks everyone for your help. I will try some of these suggestions