DIY Oversized Checkerboard Game

We spend quite a bit of time outside and have recently been adding to our outdoor game collection. So far this year we’ve built a giant connect four game, and now we’ve added an oversized checkers game. There’s something about playing a gargantuan sized game that makes it so much more fun than playing the same game in the original size!
One of the fun elements of this board game are the mason jar lids that are used as game pieces.
This game has been a huge hit with my kids! We are having a great time playing it outdoors while enjoying the beautiful weather.
Check out my blog listed at the end for more detailed instructions and specifics on dimensions and paints and stains! I've also done some of the math for you on where to cut your lines for the checkerboard squares! If you like this, you may also like my Galvanized Herb Planters. I hope you'll check them out!

Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Robin @ AHome to Grow Old In

• Judi
    Judi

Did you make or buy thr two toned poof seats? If you bought them, where?

• Viki Satkiewicz Gayhardt
    Viki Satkiewicz Gayhardt

Any ideas for the rims and seal kind of lids?

• Are you talking about the 2 piece lids? I was playing around with those before I found the one piece lids. I think you could use a little silicone to stick them together before you paint them.

• Viki Satkiewicz Gayhardt
      Viki Satkiewicz Gayhardt

Yes. I have a ton of them, as the Mason jars tend to break! More lids than jars! I'll try gluing. Thanks.

• I'm the same way. I planned to use the 2 part lids, but when I realized I didn't have 24 I just decided to buy the 1 piece. I think glue or silicone will work well. Good luck!

• Carole Thomas
      Carole Thomas

Sounds like my Tupperware!!

• Noreen Walker
    Noreen Walker

How did you make the connect four game?

• Velma
    Velma

love the checker board and two toned seats,,,, but where or where did u get or how did you make the white table the checker board is sitting on. LOVE,LOVE it

• I love that table, too! I got it from Home Depot, and I think it only was $17 full price. I got it before Memorial Day, so I'm not sure if they still have them available.

• Mona Blake
      Mona Blake

You can make one using pvc pipe.

• Debb
    Debb

Checkers from canning jar lids. I spray painted, waiting days in between. When completed I was able to scratch all the paint off with my nail. What did I do wrong?

• Paige sian
    Paige sian

How big did you make the board

• Mary
    Mary

How about using quart size lids from mayo jars that come in colors and are plastic?

• Mary McDonald
    Mary McDonald

Do we all have to go on everyone’s blog, when they post something, to get directions? This girl doesn’t have time for that!

• Jill Ron Pike
      Jill Ron Pike

Some go ahead and share their projects here, but there's only so much space to do that. I can usually figure out what they're trying to convey, but sometimes I go ahead to their blogs. Most times there are more specific details, and affiliate links the bloggers use.

• Mary McDonald
      Mary McDonald

Thanks for your reply😊

• Claudia Vercellotti
      Claudia Vercellotti

Word

• Kerri
      Kerri

I (as well as millions of other readers) appreciate that bloggers want to take their time to write a great article about their creations and share it with the world. If you love her idea enough to want to make it for yourself, maybe you’ll take that extra 60sec to click through to her blog. If you don’t have that extra 60sec, then you probably don’t have enough time to make it. Maybe you can find a blogger to follow that specializes in “Projects that take less than 60sec to create”.

• Mary McDonald
      Mary McDonald

I guess I’m just put off by click bait. Your “sarcasm” is kind of true, though. I can tell within 60 seconds of scrolling if I’m interested. So if I don’t see details on a full post but more like an advertisement, I move on to the next. This is why I love Hometalk’s new format of “21projects, using a ...” or “10 ways to reuse...”

PS. I’m glad to have create a convo. I know I’m not the only non-blogger who agrees with my angst.

Thank you, K for Kerri, for your input😀

• Sharon Glover
    Sharon Glover

Fantastic!!!

• Muji
    Muji

I love it. Great job I will try it with smaller covers. I did one for inside the house with checkered sticky paper for draws. I then fame it in glass. Using black and red poker chips . This works really good especially when we are inside for Fall and Winter.

In fact I framed many games.