How To Spray Paint Outdoor Chairs

Some of our outdoor porch chairs were ho-hum - in good shape, but lacking any type of personality - so I used a can of red spray paint to give our once-tired-looking chairs a quick and easy makeover. We are thrilled with the results!
If you have outdoor chairs that could benefit from a fresh look, here are some tips to help your painting go smoothly:
1. Decide which parts you want to paint and then mask off the rest (don't forget the underside!).
2. Use a good quality spray paint (I used a gloss protective enamel spray paint).
3. Put your chair on a protective cloth and spray outdoors on a day when it's not too windy or humid.
4. Spray with a light touch. Several lighter coats turn out nicer than one heavy coat.
5. Once your chair is dry enough to turn over (be patient!), then spray the underside.
6. Wait 24 hrs. for paint to cure.
One can of paint covered these two chairs - though the underside is not as covered as the parts that are visible. You can see photos of all the steps at our website!
Here are our porch chairs before - in good condition, but just a little too neutral.
I used a gloss protective enamel spray paint made by Rust-oleum. The color is Sunset Red and it's a 15 ounce can.
Don't the chairs just pop now and add a happy note to our new porch?

Front Porch Ideas

• Jo Kilbourn

This looks beautiful! My out door chairs are beginning to rust. Do you suggest that I do something before I apply spray paint? Thank you.

• Nonni

Did you have trouble with bugs or other things getting into your fresh paint job? If so, is there anything you did to solve this problem?

• Front Porch Ideas

No, we really didn't, Nonni. The paint dries rather quickly so it's not usually any problem for us with bugs getting into it. I surely wouldn't spray paint in an area where there's a lot of gnats or something like that. In that case, perhaps you could do it in a garage and just be sure to protect other things around it. I hope this helps you and that's what you meant.