CEMENT RHUBARB LEAF TUTORIAL

I have wanted to do a tutorial for one of these leaves ever since I had done one over 2 years ago. But things happen and I never got around to it. But the weather has been fine and the rhubarb patch is ready!
cement rhubarb leaf tutorial, concrete masonry, crafts, how to, landscape
I will not be giving the full details here on Hometalk as it is long and detailed with quite a few photos. I will give you the link to my blog at the end of this post and you can go check it out in full detail. But first I will give you an idea on how to get it started. First get all your things together. That will help as you really do not want to go running around looking for stuff in the middle of this.
You will want a bucket, rubber gloves, hardware mesh and some garbage bags or plastic sheets.
You will want to get a bag of play sand.
And you will need some cement or concrete. I went with cement on this one, I used concrete on my last one. Who knew there was a difference? I didn't, but this time round I did a little more reading on the subject. Actually I should have done more reading before I started.
Moisten your sand and set it up as shown in the photo. Then cover it with plastic.
Add your rhubarb leaf. Patch any holes with pieces of another leaf. You do not have to use a rhubarb leaf, I just like them as they show the most detail in the vein areas.
Cut your hardware cloth a few inches smaller than your leaf.
Mix your cement and add it on top of your leaf.
Add your hardware cloth and add more cement.
Keep pushing the sand up towards the leaf under the plastic if the cement starts to run.
Now cover it up and leave it alone for 3 days.
This is how it will look when you flip it over. Ugly isn't it!
This is how it will look in a couple weeks. You will want to leave it in the shade to cure. Two weeks minimum to cure and "longer is stronger" is the way to go with these.
After a couple weeks you can give it a good scrub, let it dry and seal it with concrete sealer. Now you can paint it any color you want and seal it again. Here is a photo of the one I made two years ago and you can see the newest one at the top of this post.
Remember if you decide to do one of these and want more details in the steps I took, just click on the link to my blog.

• Bucket for water
  • Container for moistening sand
  • Container for mixing cement
KAT

• Donna Wilson

I have just made one of these and am very pleased with the results so far , What I want to know is do you let the leaf dry out then scrub it off after two weeks curing or do you scrub it off right away ? Thanks donna

• KAT

Cld... I would add about 10 to 12 cups of sand to the half bag of cement. I haven't tried it with the sand yet but I would definitely add the sand next time I do. If you do add sand you will probably have to add more water also. Oh and mix the sand into the cement while it is still dry before you add the water.

• Connie Neer

I just read your hometalk leaf lesson but there is no link to your blog. Can you supply that link. Thanks

• Joanie

This is beautiful!! I love rhubarb and I think this would make an outstanding Birdbath......whata think?

• Vicki Duff

I am not usually a stickler for grammar. I only read the top two paragraphs, but I do understand the price of proofreaders. It is always wise to have someone proof for you.,no judgement, just a heads up. Your project looks great.

• on Mar 4, 2017

Freeking CUTE!!!! What a creative project! I will hate the waiting part though, lol ;)