Storage Bin to Toy Box Makeover!

I was tired of looking at the ugly plastic bin I’ve been using as a toy box, but I didn’t want to spend money on an actual toy box. I decided to just give the bin a little makeover. It just took some wrapping paper, burlap, rope and fence post caps to go from boring to cute and still functional.
Ugly plastic bin transformed with some wrapping paper, rope, burlap and fence post caps!
A simple and cute update to an ugly bin.
Mod Podge wrapping paper to the bin and then hot glue some burlap to the lid and top part of bin.
$3 fence post caps where painted and screwed in to the bottom as legs.
I added Lock Nuts to the inside to cover up the screws from the posts.
Painted fence post caps attached as legs.

Beca @ Creative Dominican

• Amber Smith

isn't that more money than a toy box?

• Craig Dana Pippen

I'm making something similar from this idea. Didn't known if paper would last long so I'm using more burlap and thicker rope but takes LOTs of hot glue. So far it's coming along nicely the only challenge seems to be properly covering handles so they still can latch/lock.
  • Amy Anderson

I'd like to make a chest like this to go at the end of my bed. It'll need to be sturdy so I could sit on it. Can you think of something I could use that would support weight and be similar to your project?

• Sou10000097

I had a bunch of these tubs I used at school to store my monthly supplies. I turned them into a reading center by placing an outdoor cushion across 3 tubs and putting throw pillows on the back. Children and adults both sat on them. I have now retired but I still have some of those same tubs I use for storage.
  • Susan

Can you provide or show more information on how you cut the burlap and how it was attached? Hot glue is not enough to visualize when I try to do this. It almost looks like you added some stuffing to the top? - oh and instead of placing something over the screw inside the bin... do you have the tool required to CUT it before you put it in - then maybe hot glue small hollowed out wooden ball etc, over them?

• Sara Schmitt

From my experience hot glue doesn’t stick well to plastic. Not a lasting bond anyway, ES 3000 glue works great but takes a while to dry. Sometimes I use both at the same time to get that quick bond that will last.

• Chris Ann Hanousek

I really like this idea, it looks great. Inspired also by a few of the comments, I will modify your project to have a storage bench at the foot of my bed.

• Teresa Crooks Guthrie

I was inspired after viewing this, these two were my inspirations.