Jan Watson
Jan Watson
  • Cavalier, ND

Distressing a bird cage

Jan WatsonJan ReiterBrenda Smith
+4

How do I distress a bird cage?
  • Nancy G

Jan, Is it a wood bird cage or a metal one? I've done it with both kinds. Just paint (or spraypaint lightly) the undercolor & then go over it w/a different color. Last you take off some of the top color using sandpaper. Voila~ I've used the wooden one to put fake vines in & the metal one I put in clear colored Christmas lights. Hope this helps you

• Anita Roll Murals

Jan, you can also add distressing with a sanding or wood block. Depending on the color of your cage apply either lighter or darker paint to one side of your block and lightly touch around on your cage in a skipping motion.

• Diana Blazer

This has helped me too. I have two old birdcages and I want to distress them and put bird nests and lights in them. I painted one of them and it looks "too made up" so I thought the homemade chalk paint might work. I was going to redo the one, but I am just going to sand it down. Thank you for the great tip!

• Brenda Smith

textured metal paint in a rusty color is a good start then a little sanding

• Jan Reiter

Jan, can you tell me what kind of glue to use when wanting to glue glass to glass that will hold up outside, especially in ND and WY. Thanks a bunch?

• Jan Watson

Bet thing that I used wasindoor outdoor clear calking, this has worked the best and I have tried everything! And, its a lot cheaper that other glass glue. But make sure the calking is for NON_PORIS surfices