Christy M
Christy M
  • Alpharetta, GA
Asked on Jun 4, 2012

Do any of you in the Alpharetta/Atlanta area know of a local source for lady bugs?

Wp.1978794TLC Lawn CareChristy M
+7

We've had quite an increase in aphids this year and were wondering if anyone had a local source for lady bugs or other organic solutions for the aphids?
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

You might try Farmer D in Atlanta.

• Walter Reeves

How about Scottsdale Farms in Johns Creek? Truthfully, I don't think much of adding ladybugs to an area. If you have lots of aphids, the population of native ladybugs will grow to comparable numbers without buying extra. Wasps and hornets are good aphid controls...as is a strong shot of water.

• Christy M

Walter, how do you feel about the soapy water solution?

• Walter Reeves

I like commercial insecticidal soap but do not recommend making up a solution yourself. Homemade solutions can hurt plants as well as insects.

• Christy M

Walter- I read online that just a tea spoon of dawn or other dish soap in a couple gallons of water can do the trick? Will the dish soap hurt other plants/good insects?

• Walter Reeves

Remember that Dawn is a detergent, not a soap....and these two substances are not the same thing. Both are effective at dissolving oils but detergents are much more aggressive. Dawn is great for cleaning a spaghetti pot but it can also dissolve the cells on a plant leaf. Soaps are milder....but even soaps can harm plants, because you don't know the fats and oils that were used to make the soap. Some might hurt plants, some might not. Commercial insecticidal soaps are manufactured and tested to be safe and effective. Why not use them and not risk plant harm?

• Sherrie S

Christy M, when aphids became a problem here I bought ladybugs. They obviously didn't think I had enough aphids because they all flew away for a better place.

• Christy M

I found some organic insecticidal soap at big box store... going to let the hubby try it out and see!

• TLC Lawn Care

To answer your original question, Pike's Nursery has lady bugs.

• Wp.1978794

just be sure the ones you get for the job are RED ladybugs, not the yellow ones that bite, attack, and eat the red ones. These are imported from overseas to fill the demand for ladybugs, but are a pest rather than a benefit. We had them here in Ohio and they were awful...they seem to have diminished, although so have the genuine red ladybugs.