Wood Icing® Company
Wood Icing® Company
  • Foristell, MO

How to Use Lace With Wood Icing® Textura Paste

Quick little video showing how to use lace with Wood Icing® Textura Paste
I show how to spread the Textura Paste over the top of lace. And I also show how to press lace into the Textura Paste. We paint both with Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan. We used this technique on the Flag project we posted.
"How To" Use Lace with Wood Icing® Textura Paste.
Using lace on drawer fronts.
Using lace on drawer fronts.
Such a stunning design for drawer fronts. Find the perfect lace for your project and turn any piece into a work of art using Wood Icing® Textura Paste.
Spreading  Textura Paste over lace
Spreading Textura Paste over lace
Wood Icing is water based with easy fast clean up. No harsh odor or chemicals. Wash out the lace and use it over and over.
Paint over the lace design
Paint over the lace design
Once your design is dry, you can paint, stain or glaze for a beautiful finish. Wood Icing® Textura Paste is an extremely durable product.

• Wood Icing® Textura Paste  (http://www.woodicing.com/)
  • Lace  (Fabric store)
  • Chalk Paint® by Annie sloan  (http://www.woodicing.com/)

To see more: http://www.woodicing.com/

• Brenda strickland

Could I do this over wallpaper, the bagging kind with the poly on top? Wonder if it would stick to the polyuathane?

• Wood Icing® Company

I am not certain I know what bagging wallpaper is??? But i know if your wall paper is stuck really well to the wall the Wood Icing Textura Paste will stick to the wall paper if it is not too slick or has some other issue I am not aware if. It is very durable product and does not chip like dry wall mud will.

• Brenda strickland

Bagging is where you rip up brown painters paper and put it on the wall with wallpaper glue, let it dry then put poly coating on it. Thank you for the info. and I am proud to know it does not chip.

• Sandra Crosbie

Brenda. I've never heard of that wallpaper bagging. It sounds fascinating. Do you have any examples you could post photos here.

• Colette

Wondering if it would work on paneling?

• Donna Hall

Is this only for wood? Can it be used on vinyl tiles if the tiles were sanded?

• Wood Icing® Company

Wood Icing will adhere to wood metal or plastic. For metal or plastic, I would recommend roughing up the surface a bit with a coarse sandpaper, then I would apply a good bonding primer. My fav bonding primer is Gripper made by Glidden. Sold at Home Depot. Comes in gray or white. Hope this helps! Thanks for asking.

• Debra Ridley Hurst

Would Mod Podge work?

• Diane

yes, I did that with mod podge on my small windows and used it on a dresser with nylon material. Yes it will work

• Debra Ridley Hurst

Thank you so much! This looks like something I would enjoy doing. Moving this to my "TRY" file.

• Marilu Garcia

do you peel lace out after painting

• Wood Icing® Company

Hi Mailu, Thanks for asking. You pull the lace off as soon as you spread the paste. Then let the Textura Paste dry (over night is best). Then give it a quick sanding and paint or stain!

• Diane

It looks beautiful. I am confused with how the stenciling is painted once you remove the lace. Do you carefully line up the lace again over the stencils to paint?

• Lori

wood icing, is there anything that can be used for wall with same technique ?

• Nan

Lori - I've used this technique when I've created stencils of my liking from material. I've just spread a thin coating of joint compound over the stencil to get the raised relief effect. For coloration (I can be finicky) after the compound has dried, I used chalk pastels. I've used this method both on walls as a top border and on cornices in my living room.

• Misbah Malik

Can u post pics so we can see

• Lisa A Downes-Poll

I used drywall mud, and added acrylic paints. Worked great. Didn't do lace, did brickwork on walls.

• Colleen Hammond

It's beautiful, but... Why not just paint the piece, and then apply the lace directly to it?

• Elizabeth Dion

That is what I did, basically. I laid the lace on the project and spray painted through it. There is a picture on this post somewhere...I sprayed white on an aqua base.

• Gregory Maynard

That makes for a good effect also, but this technique would have a more textured appearance.

• Dee B

She can remove the lace, still have the pattern, wash the lace and use it again. A good thing if you only have a limited amount of lace.

• Colleen Hammond

True, but I don't think I've ever suffered from a limited amount of lace.

• Brenda

The lace can also be wash again, with this process and reused again.

• Biz1507351

can this Technic be used for a kitchen black splash?

• You might want to Google wood icing or Textura Paste to see the full description of the product and its uses. It might be that you would have to sand down the surface if the back splash is formica.

• Darlene Heichelbech

back in the 70's used to do this with patching plaster with grout color of choice

• Janac

Funny I was thinking same thing, as I used wallpaper and painted it years ago, thinking of updating to something like this, great question and I think I would try it

• Wood Icing® Company

BizzyLizzy Yes you can use this as a back splash. However it is not water resistant product. so be sure the back splash would not have water on it other than to wipe it down with a soft wet cloth to clean or dust. No scrubbing or harsh chemicals. Also, no reason to sand back formica. You would just need to rough it up with a coarse sandpaper to better adhesion.

• Sonia Burrows

Isn't it funny how old is new again????

• Alice Shockley

The video is quite good, but on the finished photo, it would be good if you could say which side is the pressed lace and which is the stenciled lace. Which side is which?

• Bobbie Lynn Nemetz

I'm 99.9% sure the left side of the finished photo is the stenciled side. Hope this helps.

• Wood Icing® Company

Great suggestion. If I could clarify. When you spread the Textura Paste over lace then pull the lace up, the finish will be more defined and raised. When you press the lace into the Textura Paste it will be a more softer surface which may be a little smoother.

• Kate Jones

Is anyone aware of a UK equivalent of wood icing? could I use filler or another kind of putty?

• The Piddler

I like the "removable lace" application..... How do you secure the lace from moving around? .....Would love to do this to a glass top coffee table top using the reverse glass painting procedure. Thanks in advance for your reply.

• Could you use Sheetrock mud and accomplish the same look?

• Wood Icing® Company

Yes you could but if course it is fine for walls but does not hold up as well on furniture as Wood Icing does.

• Kathy Haines Cramer

Hi. I've done this mixing the prefixed joint compound and Aileen's white glue. :)

• Barb Schmidt

That would also be great for a small wall or part of one. Maybe around a window

• Marry Reeves

Can you color the paste first? If so what would work the best, a liquid acrylic craft paint or a powered dye? I ask because painting afterward blurs the detail of the lace and I want the imprint to stay crisp before the sealer is applied.

• Wood Icing® Company

Hi Mary, yes I color the Textura Paste with Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan. I t is not a perfect match but it colors quite nicely. However, doing so does cause the Textura Paste to be thinner. Which is why I love using the Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan. It is such a thick paint already so you can allow the mixture to stand in the open air until it thickens back up.

• Marry Reeves

That's great, thanks for info.

• Devra

Very pretty ! Do you use fabric lace or the vinyl lace, like for patio table cloths? Thanks

• Christine Lauder Hall

I'm fairly certain that it's soft, fabric lace, because in the top video she dips it in water and squeezes it tightly. You can't do that with vinyl fabric. But you may be able to achieve a similar result, but not likely as pretty. Good luck.

• Wood Icing® Company

Thanks for asking! Yes I did use real fabric lace but you can also use the plastic lace. Then wash and reuse.

• Ivanity.lolray3.com

Lovely,and not difficult. Thanks for sharing. Lollie

• Nay9324474

Can this be used on the outside of a freezer ?? The freezer works wonderfully, but the outside looks YUCKY !!!

• Christine Lauder Hall

Wow! That's a great idea. I don't know for sure, but I will tell you that this technique should be able to be done with paintable caulk. I'm not 100 percent positive, but it sure I've used caulk to do many texturing art projects that I paint with acrylic pain. Good luck to you. :)

• Wood Icing® Company

Hi Nayna. Yes you can use it on the outside of a freezer as long as there is no moisture that collects on the outside.

• Amy

Could you use this on the blades of a ceiling fan and not affect how it works?

• Wood Icing® Company

Hi Amy, yes you could but you would need to be sure you spread evenly and use the same amount on each blade because of the balance thing for fans.

• Ella Teuben

The textured surface will collect dust and other particles very quickly. You would need to use a soft brush regularly to keep it clean

• Dave Urbanoski

Couldn't you just use a few coats of a matte varnish this way the blades will be protected and you can dust without causing damage to the design on the blades.

• Laura Rodriguez

Could this be done on a mirrored wall?

• Wood Icing® Company

I am not sre how yo answer that. The product will stick to a mirror but not certain as to how you plan to execute the process.

• Lara Kulpa

Maybe she was hoping YOU would give her the answer as to 'how to execute the process"?

• Irene Kalfon

Can you explain all the procedure from A to Z ? When do you remove the lace? Can it be done over a wooden door? Thank-you

• Wood Icing® Company

1. Lay the lace onto the surface 2. Spread the Textura Paste over the lace. 3. Gently pull off the lace. 4. Rinse the lace and hang to dry. 5. Allow the Textura Paste to dry hard 6. Gently sandbover the surface to knock off any loose pieces or to remove riugh spots. 7. Paint or stainnover the lacey pattern. Allow to dry. 8. You can use wax or glaze to highlight the lace design. 9. If you prefer you can finish with a Clear cost of PolyAcrylic by Wood Icing instrad ofvusing wax for the finish.

• Wood Icing® Company

Yes it can be done on any surface

• Melanie malema

do you have to do special prep of surfaces so the paste sticks?

• Annieherman

how to make wood icing

• GeeJudy

I asked this 2 years ago

• Joyce

Since the wood icing textura paste has a registered trademark, I assume it is a product you could buy in a hobby store.

• Marci Stevens

wonder if you could use wall putty to get the same result

• Touchedpainter

I am unfamiliar with wall putty, but I would use the "all purpose drywall lite (or light)" NOT "spackle lite", all purpose drywall light. Can get at any paint store, I get at Home Depot.

• Touchedpainter

may need to add a little water to make the spreadable consistancy

• Les11900373

I did this years ago with a stencil and some sheetrock mud on some kitchen cabinets.

• Frema Byrd

Tape mud, drywall mud, etc are the same thing. Be sure to coat it with (the word just blew out of my mind) it is a liquid paint like material that seals the mud when dry and prevents over absorption of your paint. I JUST REMEMBERED. It is PVA.

• Kimberly Lynn McDonald

can you do this on walls as well?

• Rose Capella

Can this work on a wall?

• Ruth

How do you hold the lace steady while you spread the icing over it? Seems like it would stretch and smear..... Beautiful effects!!

• Catherine

I'd use a plastic lace tablecloth. And duct tape.

• Diane Collins

Spray adhesive from Craft Store...its repositionable...I use it for Stencils too!

• Nancy

Can this technique be used on glass? Windows?

• Peggy McMeans Parker

There's a cornstarch mix w/lace for windows to obscure the view but still lets in light search it out Good Luck

• JeanniesHaven

could you just use cut outs of lace pattern here and there? Perhaps like a pasley pattern!

• Wood Icing® Company

Hi Jeannie, Thanks for asking. You can anything that will create a pattern in the Textura Paste. I say give it a whirl!

• Truddi Clark

can you answer the questions please? what is this product called in other countries...

• Wood Icing® Company

This product is made and sold in the US and Canada. It is called Textura Paste made by the Wood Icing Comany.

• Deb16400399

Where can u buy textura paste?

• Spi9010475

Is the Textura Paste water soluble? I'm considering putting it on a window for privacy but want to be able to remove it if I need to.

• MariVic

Sorry for this question...I think Im missing something here. Do you pull the lace off after apply the paste? BTW...your work is fabulous.

• 3950805

Thank you MariVic Yes, you pull the lace off immediately and rinse the paste out, so you can reuse.

• Jeannie Carle

Please - can this be used on glass?

• 3950805

So sorry I did not answer sooner. I missed it for some reason. Yes it will adhere to glass if your rough up the surface to give it tooth. But it will not hold up to water, so you could not submerge in water.

• Jeannie Carle

I was thinking windows - but..... with condensation this probably wouldn't hold up?

• GeeWillikers

Use glass etch if you want permanent lace look on a window /glass paint for semi permanent

• Sue johnson

what is wood icing made of and what would be the equivelent in the UK please.

• Darlene

Could this technique be used on a plaster wall or on dry wall to make an accent wall?

• Par3185926

Can you use it on cans?

• Sindy

Could this be used on Windows? What to use in place of wood icing?

• Chris Brasher

I have used joint compound often which sounds very much like the wood icing. It's very inexpensive and not very messy. Since it's water based it's easy to clean up any tools, i.e. spatula. To use just add a water based paint of your choice into the compound before spreading or leave white and highlight when dry, or paint over entire project for a monochromatic effect. I have used this technique on walls, wood, and canvas, it's easy and inexpensive. Also works great with stencils. Sorry, haven't tried it on a window, but will give it a try as I'm sure it would work. Chris TX

• Sindy

Thank you. Giving this a try on basement windows.

• Kellie Hoople

When you say joint compound do you mean the premixed stuff for drywall?

• Kellie Hoople

• Arleen

You may be able to do this on a window but using a spray type paint that is used to give it a frosted effect. hope this helps.

• Emma Hill

im not contradicting the paint idea but putting paint on window in spray form seems like would be too permanent and a job getting it back off if get tired of the lace idea.

• Susie

Can I get wood icing at Hobby Lobby or Michaels?

• Emma Hill

make a paste of corn starch and paint on window, then cut out lace size of window and put it on, if dont like it washes right off and try again.

• Anita Bolz

Where can Wood icing be purchased? anita3636@att.net

• Sam Bradley

Can you do this on metal?

• Wendy Tuch

If you sanded (scuffed-up) the metal, you should be able to do this. You may need a different kind of finishing product, specifically designed for metal. Check with your local Home Depot, Lowes, or Ace Hardware.

• 3950805

Hi Sam
      yes you could do this on metel. As Wendy Mention scuff the se surface. For bare metal you would need a bonding primer made specifically for metal. If it is already painted, proceed after scuffing. If the paint is shiny you may need to paint over with flat paint in order for the Texture Paste to stick better And to make it easier to work with.

• Bonnie

what is wood icing thx

• Koh24414848

How is the lace held steady/firm?

• Jewell Martin

Masking tape works well. It comes in different widths and is easy to cut in strips. It also does not leave a residue as long as you use it to tape down the lace and remove it when you remove the lace.
      I also use large office clamps, which often are wide enough for chair and table edges. Workshop clamps are often too bulky to use with lace and fabric. Best wishes 😇

• I had never heard of "wood icing" and am wondering why you couldn't get the same effect by securing the lace and spray painting? It seems as though the wood icing would be rather thick and might not spread evenly...at least when I try thing that are supposed to work, they usually flop. I may not be as crafty as the next guy.

• Nancy Adams-Cook

I've spray painted over lace on a few projects. Worked beautifully !

• 3950805

Hi Linda and Nancy. The purpose of Wood Icing is to create texture. Spray painting over lace is beautiful as well. It's your choice To use whatever medium suits your needs. To see more projects created with Wood Icing please visit the web site. Woodicing.com

• Cindy Verkuyl

I added privacy to my front entrance by spray painting white enamel paint over lace adhered to front window. Pulled off lace, beautiful and window is washable. Just scrape off when you tire of it.

• Ebee

It would seem to me that the other advantage (besides texture) would be that the lace is reusable after washing. Spray paint isn't. Also, if lace IS used more than once, the spray paint would eventually clog the delicate pattern which would eventually be lost. This would end up being more expensive as more lace would be needed ... and lace is NOT cheap!

• Row22398548

Very cool idea.

• Toni Bennett

I've used net curtains and Annie Sloan paint applied with a sponge to great effect.

• Ksellisor

Lace IS cheap if you shop in thrift stores for old lace curtains. For projects like this, why buy new!

• Millies_mom47

Where would I find this "wood icing"? What kind of store or name of store?

• Row22398548

Go to the Woodicing website and look up your state. Each state has listings.

• Cindy

You talk about lace that can be pretty expensive, but could you use those plastic lace table cloths that you can buy pretty cheap and maybe cut it in sections? Do you think that would work as well?

• KattywhampusLOL

Honestly, Cindy I don't see why not, except that using a plastic template would yield a deeper (thicker) relief and it might take longer to dry. Also, you may have a problem getting a clean line as you raise it off the board because of curl-back from the medium. The lace she was using in this video loked like a piece of old lace (and not the finely tatted and expensive stuff) that may have come from an old table runner or lace curtain. You can find things like that very inexpesively at thrift shops like Salvation Army stores and Goodwill, and sometimes even at yard/garage sales. Sometimes they may have a stain on the that cannot be removed, so they are being sold even more inexpensively (or can be talked down by 10% or so because of the stain). That's the type of thing you would want to buy for this project, rather than ordering lace from online or going to a fabirc/crft store and paying full price for it. It wouldn't hurt to check out a few places there in Cincy ;) Good Luck, Have a great time with your crafting, and enjoy the beautiful effect YOU create :)

• The plastic tablecloths would not work, because they are etbossed over plastic, so when you lifted it off, the texture would be on the cloth, not on the wood,

• B. Enne

@ Debbie Hovatter Larkins
      You make a valid point. A quick check before buying the tablecloth, by holding it up to the light to make sure it is cut out, may be a good idea. I have had open lace plastic tablecloths.

• Kristine Kelley Bailey

Goodwill or any thrift store... I just bought a huge lace curtain panel to lay on top of my patio table.... then spray paint over. The lace curtain panel at Goodwill was 3.00. Cheap for a huge stencil.

• Bar24993395

Let me add to the list of great ideas. You usually can find scrape lace pieces or even older lace curtains at most of the peddlers Malls and flea markets cheap if you have those in your area. Also you could join you local Yahoo.com groups called : Freecycle or Cheapcycle.org in your area. People are always giving away things they no longer need on Freecycle or selling things on Cheapcycle. Check those out too. With one of those you have to join the group and on the Freecycle group (on Yahoo.com) they ask that you GIVE away an unwanted item before requesting one to show good faith intentions. Good luck and blessings to all.

• Sharon Martin

Why did you use both textures on the same piece side by side. Was that Judy to show us both procedure?

• Starr Wilson

On the picture of the drawer fronts the background is a different color than the lace pattern. Is the lace pattern on the drawers painted, if so then how would you keep it off the background paint? Do you use the white wax on every thing you do? I'm confused.

• Lori McIntyre

i think she painted before peeling the lace off....i am not certain though

• Herbal37

It looks to me like she painted first and then put the lace over it and used the texture paint. A similar technique is used in pottery.

• Linda. F Mitchell

Looks like the wood icing is the background color that appears then she took brush & lightly painted white over the raised design created by the wood icing coming through the lace holes.

• Mlo15410591

confused. Do you apply the lace on the wood then paint the back of it, allow to dry then remove? need more pictures or details.

• Velma Petersen Herrig

You need to watch the video. it shows 2 methods to use the "icing". you remove the lace with both techniques and allow to dry. Then sand just a bit to smooth. Then they used a chalk paint, then a white wax. I think with either method, the end product is supposed to show a raised lace pattern/texture - not necessarily 2 different colors.

• San28489456

So why couldn't you just spay paint and get the same pattern?

• Rosanne

I actually tried this on an old desk. I lightly stapled the lace on as tightly as I could, without distorting the pattern. I usually rush thru things, so maybe I wasn't careful enough. It worked, but is not a neat as in this picture

• Karen Chiasson

I have done this before without paste. I painted the top of an old table with paint and let it dry. Then I laid the lace on top, secured it, and painted over the lace using a different color paint, then removed the lace. It came out perfect.

• DuWayne Brayton

No reason you can't, if you're careful. I would imagine you would want to use synthetic fiber lace, but it should be possible.

But it obviously wouldn't be embossed, which is the point of this project.

• Cathy Shingler

How do you get that first layer off before you actually paint it.

• Elisa Martinez

I don't think I can get would icing here (I live abroad), is there any other product with a similar qualities that I can use? Simple stuff like some type of plaster of some sort?

• Susann Campbell

I think that if you had enough lace then you could just brush on fabric glue on the surface, put on the lace and brush on top of the lace with more fabric glue, work from the middle out so wrinkles won't be a problem. Let dry for twelve hours and then paint what ever color you want. I have worked with fabric glue for some time now but not what this person did that was an inspiration to us all.
      I am going to do what I told you, I have a lot of lace and now I have many projects lined up just from this .

• Elisa Martinez

Thanks Susann for getting back to me!

• Sva4149069

Do you use cloth doily or the plastic doily?

• Denise Clairmont

Could you do this on glass?

• Jane Johnson

What is that catchy tune being played with the video? I really like it!

• C

Would it be possible to use this Wood Icing & lace on a whole wall? I'm not sure if that isn't too big a project but I would love to see it in either a bathroom or bedroom.

• Claudia Groenevelt

Hi, can you ise this to paint vinyl flooring? Looks great! Claudia

• Tammy

I there something not store bought u can make yourself for the wood icing? Just thinking . . .

• Raeanne Ederle

Tammy I was thinking the same thing. But although this is store bought, perhaps wood filler, no more gaps (it's cheap and you can paint it.

• Bob9050958

Joint compound is something you can use also..... I think this product is stronger or more durable

• Har33747246

Bob is right and so is Raeanne. There's actually a wood compound I use. Goes on hot pink and dries like wood to paint over or sand. Its from Walmart. I find them easy to work with and CHEAP.

• Lissa

Do you thin it with water?

• Kiturah Humphrey

I just used thick gesso with a stencil, not so complex but it did give a nice raised (slightly raised) pattern.

• Jan32403231

2

• Barb C

Love this. Do you need to stick the lace down with any fixative? It doesn't wrinkle or stretch as you spread the textura?

• Gene R Petro

Is the finished project weather proof ? If so, how long to cure?

• Nell

Can you used this on glass

• Philomena Sherry

Can you tell me ,what is wood icing please ?

• DuWayne Brayton

Is wood icing durable enough for gilding?

• Cwhenson

Could you do this technique in an entire room? On an accent wall?

• Jeanette S
    Yesterday

Could this "icing" be used to make the old fashioned plaster type borders that were used centuries ago to accent around the ceiling molding...or is it to fragile?

• Charmed

What a great idea. It reminds me of the wall paneling we have in our old home that has embossed designs. This give even more depth. Thank you for sharing.

• FairyBug

I have a small new house and wanted it to look like a little cottage. I’ve been looking for something to do on my walls and this is perfect!! I didn’t I can’t wallpaper anymore but this is absolutely a wonderfully fantastic doable idea!! Thank you sooo much!!