Rosalee Carruthers
Rosalee Carruthers
  • Levelland, TX

Dead clematis

Rosalee CarruthersPegBrenda De Lair
+1

A sad time in my garden- my beautiful 5 year old purple clematis that grows on the front of my house in full bloom just withered & died. It is in full sun but with it's feet covered by rocks and other growth and has put on quite a show for the last 3 years. I sadly cut it back to about 4 feet about a month ago, hoping it will recover but no luck yet. Any ideas why this would happen?
  • Brenda De Lair

This could just be a blight. I have had this happen on a few occasions only to find that it comes back within a couple of years. Good luck.

• Rosalee Carruthers

Thanks Brenda. I hope so

• Peg

Don't give up hope Rosalee. One "seemed" to have died that was in a pot that I didn't get to put in the ground. I cut off the unsightly dead vines and put the pot aside until I needed it for something else.Then found it sprouting again! This time I made sure to get it in the ground!

• Rosalee Carruthers

It's back, it's back! Three months of waiting and I have new shoots coming from the base. So glad I did not tear it out- Phew