Chalkboard Countertops

$50.00

I didn't like my 30 year old laminate countertops from the moment I moved in to my house 5 years ago. I wanted something that looked like stone but less expensive. One night I got the idea to paint my counters with chalkboard paint. Not only is it beautiful, it's functional too. How would you like to write your grocery list right on your counter?
chalkboard countertops, chalkboard paint, countertops, diy, how to, kitchen design, This is the after photo two years later They ve held up great I ve only touched up a few spots here and there It s food safe and I can lay hot pots directly on the counter
This is the after photo two years later. They've held up great! I've only touched up a few spots here and there. It's food safe and I can lay hot pots directly on the counter.
chalkboard countertops, chalkboard paint, countertops, diy, how to, kitchen design, Above is the kitchen as we bought it 5 years ago looking a bit tired I prepped our counters by sanding them and wiping them clean I used painters tape around the areas I didn t want paint
Above is the kitchen as we bought it 5 years ago, looking a bit tired. I prepped our counters by sanding them and wiping them clean. I used painters tape around the areas I didn't want paint.
chalkboard countertops, chalkboard paint, countertops, diy, how to, kitchen design, With a 6in roller 1 quart of Satin Black countertop paint as my base coat I went to work After I let the paint dry overnight it looked like the picture above Not a very good look yet
With a 6in roller & 1 quart of Satin Black countertop paint as my base coat, I went to work. After I let the paint dry overnight it looked like the picture above. Not a very good look yet.
chalkboard countertops, chalkboard paint, countertops, diy, how to, kitchen design, On the second day I was excited to use the Matte Black Chalkboard Paint 1 quart I let the paint dry overnight again I woke up to beautiful stone like counters I couldn t be more pleased
On the second day I was excited to use the Matte Black Chalkboard Paint (1 quart). I let the paint dry overnight again. I woke up to beautiful stone like counters. I couldn't be more pleased.
chalkboard countertops, chalkboard paint, countertops, diy, how to, kitchen design, It s like having new countertops but I can write messages on them After I m done writing my grocery list I can just wipe it off with a wet washcloth or disinfectant wipes
It's like having new countertops but I can write messages on them! After I'm done writing my grocery list I can just wipe it off with a wet washcloth or disinfectant wipes.
chalkboard countertops, chalkboard paint, countertops, diy, how to, kitchen design, Ecos paints has a 100 nontoxic No VOC allergy free chalkboard paint which would be food safe Or you can put a clear nontoxic coat over regular chalkboard paint I m replacing the tile backsplash soon never finished
**Ecos paints has a 100% nontoxic, No VOC & allergy free chalkboard paint which would be food safe. Or you can put a clear nontoxic coat over regular chalkboard paint. I'm replacing the tile backsplash soon, never finished! :)
chalkboard countertops, chalkboard paint, countertops, diy, how to, kitchen design
Years later my counters still look beautiful.
Courtney - March Orchard

• Virginia Miller

how scratch resistant is it?
  • Marty Phelps

Love this. Would the chalk paint smooth over uneven flaws? Did you need to do the base pain before the chalk paint, why?

• Courtney - March Orchard

I guess if you did a few coats it could cover some flaws. I did the base paint so the paint would adhere to the counters properly. It was an added precaution to make sure the chalkboard paint lasted a long time.

• Gynifer smith

i did the same for my countertops and within the first week of having them it basically got ruined! I have rings from coffee mugs that were warm from hot coffee and any time water gets on the countertop & I wipe it up it peels the paint off instantly. Do you have any tips for some type of sealant to avoid this once I redo it it? I don’t need it to be an actual chalkboard. It’s just embarrassing how bad my countertops look!

• Jack Alope

Did this project on my breakfast bar. I used Valspar bonding primer and sealer instead of black paint. This product really works well! 2 coats Valspar chalkboard paint. Really pleased with results! Did use a matte polycrylic top coat too from minwax as I do not need to use as chalkboard. Results look like soapstone. Very pleased and relatively easy and economical too. Ty!

• Michele Caldwell

I really like this It is a great idea and looks wonderful!