Asked on Jun 5, 2012

Make your own Sun Jars to light up your path for just $2.50.

Bernice HPat HayesShirley Kalinosky
+12

Krylon Frosted Glass spray paint, solar lights and dollar store jars are all you need.
http://eclecticallyvintage.com/2012/06/diy-sun-jar/
Krylon Frosted Glass spray paint, solar lights and dollar store jars are all you need. http://eclecticallyvintage.com/2012/06/diy-sun-jar/
  • 3po3

So I must be missing something. Are the solar panels inside the jars?

• Bernice H

I went to the link..am not sure what the solar lights look like before putting in the jars. But it looks like a super idea. hmmm What about rain? Do you put the lids back on? I like 'em!

• Jim Cox

I use $1 solar path lights - just the electric element. Put them upside down in the bottom of a mason jar. Run a ring of clear silicone around them, let dry 24 hrs. Flip over and attach to lid. have them on my back deck near the kitchen.
  • Jeff C

Those sun jars look great in that photo. I'm a big sucker for solar lights these days but it's cool to read about how to take the dollar store version and add some flare.

• In the link, you can see that the jars have the lids attached by wire (bought that way from the Dollar Store) - they stay closed with the solar lights (which I removed the stakes from) inside.

• Bernice H

@EVintage...question.. suppose I dont want to paint the jars, can I put the lights on top of half marble gems in the jars? Or nestled in the marbles somehow so the marbles reflect some light? What do you think?

• Bernice - that would work - but you'd see the ugly black solar light during the day if you don't paint the jars.

• Cindy Kennedy-Burns

what do the solar lights look like and where can i get them?

• Jim Cox

$1 each at walmart. I get the stainless version 'At Home' for the same price
  • @Cindy Kennedy-Burns - they are lights on a stake (I removed the stake - they unscrew) and just used the tops. I got mine at the Dollar Store - Target sells them too.

• Shirley Kalinosky

I found a set of 10 for $9.95 at Lakeside.com. The ones at the Dollar Store are sometimes $2 or $3 each. Of course, I bought a whole bunch more of things so I could take advantage of the Only $5 shipping. But at $1 a piece, You could get a lot of them.

• Pat Hayes

Do you have to put anything in the bottom of the jar to hold the light upright? I love this idea and it looks so pretty with your galvanized planters with them.

• Bernice H

Haha. This was 5 years ago...are they still working or did you have to change them over the years? Still a good idea! 😜