Kitchen Island Makeover-DIY Barn Wood!

$100
1 Day

I know we all have dreams of finding that perfect aged vintage barn wood, but when we do the price is usually insane! I was recently contacted by Pioneer Woods about a new product that they make that can take new wood and it makes it appear old! Ohh and no jars of vinegar and steel wool to make it happen! I was hoping this product would be a good match along side my DIY chalk paint additives and natural waxes! It's not just a perfect fit, it's a match made in heaven! Affordable DIY Barn wood and DIY Chalk paint, YES PLEASE!
Little intro on my project: I built my house just over 2 years and one of the advantages of a new house is having a blank slate to work with and one of the disadvantages of a new house is having a blank slate to work with! HA!! It's taken me two years to make my vision of a coastal farmhouse kitchen come to life. Being on the Gulf Coast of Florida, coastal is easy, farmhouse is a distant memory of growing up in rural Oregon. Its been a struggle for me, but as products like this come about it can make those visions a reality and most of all AFFORDABLE!
My project!
Step 1: Operation Coastal Farm House! A very boring Kitchen island that needs warmth, depth, and texture. It's the perfect victim for this product!
Step 2: Get your hands on this magical powder! I love this stuff. It's easy to use, no mess, no clean up, just easy peaze! You can buy it at: https://pixiedustpaintcompany.com/
Step 3: Mix! This little bag makes 1 Quart of solution which was more than enough for my kitchen island!
Step 4: Build an Ark! Go to your nearest home improvement store and get some boards to fit your project. We went with some 1x4's that were 10' in length. We had 10 boards total because the pugs peed on 3 of the boards and cause a chemical reaction with the solution and the wood. Let's just say, keep your boards away from pets and always buy extra! We used bamboo to keep the boards off the ground.
Step 5: "BAKE YOUR WOOD". The directions state that your wood must be subjected to rain, sun, and whatever else to get an "old" look. Kind of makes sense because some of the best barn wood out there has been "weathered". Baking times vary, we baked a batch for 3 days and for 7 days, you will see why below.
Edit: Patina was applied with a regular paint brush and to clean the brush rinse with warm water and dawn dish soap.
A progression of the wood baking....HOW COOL IS THAT!!!!
Step 6: While your wood bakes, prep your project! Between me and 2 pugs we were able to have the island ready in about 20 minutes. Just needed to remove the molding.
Edit: electrical outlet was professionally disconnected (neighbor is a licensed electrician) as it was in an odd spot and never used unless it was a glade plug in. There are 3 additional outlets in this island, one on the left side and two on the right side. It's a very large island however the builder was not thinking with this outlet placement.
Step 7: BEFORE you start screwing in your boards, lay them on the floor and figure out your pattern and then cut any boards to fit. We lucked out and only 2 boards needed to be cut to fit! Boards were attached with screws at the studs located at the top and bottom of the island. A couple of the boards we had to use liquid nails as there was a tiny fear of drilling right into the plumbing on the other side. 2" self drilling screws (they run about $8 but worth it).
Step 8: Stand back and admire your work! Light boards baked for 3 days and dark boards baked for 7 days. Then make a list of all the things you need to do to make the entire space come together!
Step 9: Redo your kitchen table to match! That Pixie Dust Paint table makeover will be up soon! The table is made of a recycled gym floor that came out of Mexico! As you can see we were able to get someone to make us driftwood lighting! Thanks Stephanie for making my lighting vision reality!

• Pioneer Wood  (pixiedustpaintcompany.com)
  • Wood Boards  (Homedepot.com)

To see more: http://facebook.com/pixiedustpaintcompany

• Elizabeth Dion

Did you cover the screws somehow?

• KATHLEEN QUINLAN

How and when you put the Pixi dust on the boards before or after sunning them? What do you use to apply it with? Did you put a poly on after?

• Sarina Correa

Actually Pixie Dust was used on the kitchen table we refinished to match the island. We are working on Island posts to finish it all off. Those will be painted with pixie. We don't use poly on any of our projects, mainly because of the chemicals and smells as my mother has sever asthma. All our products are waxed with Pixie Dust Hemp Paste Finishing Wax.

• Sarina Correa

One last answer for you.... The wood patina is applied with a brush just like you would paint something.

• KATHLEEN QUINLAN

So the boards get that look from what exactly? I love barn board but too expensive. I would love to do this. I am confused what you put onthem

• Sarina Correa

I talk about the product in the first paragraph and there is a picture showing the "patina" that was used to create this look. A water based solution called "pioneer-wood" was applied to the boards and left outside for 3-7 days to bake. Again the tutorial above explains this along with photos.

• Tammy Stacey

They have kits you can use to extend the outlet out. Not only convenient bc you kind of need electrical outlets, but I believe that covering them like that is illegal. Just a thought ... Otherwise, I love it. Definitely looking into that pixie dust

• Sarina Correa

We actually have an outlet on each side of the Island and the location of this one was of no use to us due to where it was placed. We had the outlet professionally removed as I didn't want to ruin the look of the island. Most islands don't have outlets that face out like this one did.

• Victoria

How did you get the wood to vary in color? Different "baking" times?

• Sarina Correa

Yes exactly. The light ones baked for 3 days and the dark ones baked for 7 days. They both were hit with lots of sun and afternoon Florida rains. The patina will vary depending on the wood and the amount of sun and natural weathering it can get in a short amount of time.

• Sue Harviel

Did you apply the pixie dust prior to allowing the wood to be outside? What is the use for the dish soap and when do you apply it? Is it used to rinse the pixie dust off the boards? Confused.

• Sarina Correa

No the Pixie dust is a chalk paint additive that was used on the base of the matching table. The pioneer wood patina is what was used on the boards. The patina is applied with a paint brush and when done you just clean the brush with water. We added that to the tutorial above as people were asking what the solution was applied with and how to clean up. I'm working on the table tutorial now....

• Cathy

So excited to try this..we want to make a barndoor and a farm table...thx so much for post. .looks incredible!

• Lynn LeJeune

Could this be done on a fence outside?

• Sarina Correa

Omg yes!!!! This product was originally made for decking, siding, and fencing. I just thought it would be fun to take it and use it indoors.

• Jeri Walker

If you leave the boards out in the rain what keeps them from bending out of shape?

• Karen Walmsley

Nothing. Left in the rain to soak up moisture then allowed to bake in the sun to dry out will likely cause kiln dried lumber to warp and/or twist.

• Lori

Would this work on kitchen cabinets????

• Sarina Correa

Sure as long as the cabinets are wood and they have been stripped down to the natural wood. You would need to bake them in the sun to get your desired look. I would then seal them with a satin poly to protect the finish. Good luck, sounds like a fun project!

• Heather Jones

Could you do this to a table you already have???

• Sarina Correa

Yes of course!!! As long as it's bare or unfinished wood you will get amazing results. The only thing I would be careful of is leaving your table outside to bake and having rain warp the top of it, but the sun alone will be enough to get an amazing patina.

• Tor8127659

Would you please tell the dimensions of the wood you purchased, and am I correct in assuming these are pine?

• Randy

How long do you leave the solution on the wood before rinsing it with warm water?

• Sarina Correa

You don't rinse the wood. You rinse the brushes that you used to apply the patina. The wood is to be left out in the elements to "bake". Nothing needs to be done to it, except seal it if you are using it inside. Hope that helps.

• Judy tichy

Love the wood project! Could you please share more info on your lights? I would like to do something similar above the log bar in our cabin.

• Shawna Bailey

Yes, please do! They look handmade.

• Sarina Correa

Im not sure how I missed this question, so sorry!! A friend of mine made these lights for me. They are made from random pieces of driftwood that were found on the Gulf Coast of Florida and then baked (to get rid of any bugs) and then drilled for the wires, and we used antique housing units to bring in the old antique look with the rustic wood!
  • Teresa Tudor

How big is your island?
    • Sarina Correa

Sorry for the REALLY late reply! Ekkkkk. The base is 7.5' x 2.5' and the top is 7.5' x4'!
  • Jcourtney

We live in Sarasota (also Gulf city) and am looking for EXACTLY the same decor coastal farmhouse (and for the same northern memories reason :) ) Our island is fine BUT was looking into doing a focal wall in wood slats (we were thinking of using wooden fence boards) I was just going to get a couple shades of wood stain but I haven't heard of this product, do you know if there are any pros to cons for wood stain vs. pioneer stain? Beautiful outcome by the way!
    • Sarina Correa

Sorry for the late reply, you have probably already tackled your project. The pros for stain is that it's quick, the con is that it's messy, smelly, etc. Pioneer wood is all about allowing the wood to bake and you never really know what you are going to get. Both have their pros and cons! BTW, we are just north of you in Ruskin/Apollo Beach!

• Joanie

Love your Island and table both........Farmhouse is the answer for me.......totally makes me happy and brings back memories!! Beautiful work!!
  • Dawn

I have kitchen envy!