Sarina Correa
Sarina Correa
  • Tampa, FL

Kitchen Island Makeover-DIY Barn Wood!

$100
1 Day

I know we all have dreams of finding that perfect aged vintage barn wood, but when we do the price is usually insane! I was recently contacted by Pioneer Woods about a new product that they make that can take new wood and it makes it appear old! Ohh and no jars of vinegar and steel wool to make it happen! I was hoping this product would be a good match along side my DIY chalk paint additives and natural
My project!
My project!
Step 1: Operation Coastal Farm House! A very boring Kitchen island that needs warmth, depth, and texture. It's the perfect victim for this product!
kitchen island makeover diy barn wood , how to, kitchen design, kitchen island, rustic furniture
Step 2: Get your hands on this magical powder! I love this stuff. It's easy to use, no mess, no clean up, just easy peaze! You can buy it at: https://pixiedustpaintcompany.com/
Step 3: Mix! This little bag makes 1 Quart of solution which was more than enough for my kitchen island!
Step 4: Build an Ark! Go to your nearest home improvement store and get some boards to fit your project. We went with some 1x4's that were 10' in length. We had 10 boards total because the pugs peed on 3 of the boards and cause a chemical reaction with the solution and the wood. Let's just say, keep your boards away from pets and always buy extra! We used bamboo to keep the boards off the ground.
Step 5: "BAKE YOUR WOOD". The directions state that your wood must be subjected to rain, sun, and whatever else to get an "old" look. Kind of makes sense because some of the best barn wood out there has been "weathered". Baking times vary, we baked a batch for 3 days and for 7 days, you will see why below.
Edit: Patina was applied with a regular paint brush and to clean the brush rinse with warm water and dawn dish soap.
A progression of the wood baking....HOW COOL IS THAT!!!!
Step 6: While your wood bakes, prep your project! Between me and 2 pugs we were able to have the island ready in about 20 minutes. Just needed to remove the molding.
Edit: electrical outlet was professionally disconnected (neighbor is a licensed electrician) as it was in an odd spot and never used unless it was a glade plug in. There are 3 additional outlets in this island, one on the left side and two on the right side. It's a very large island however the builder was not thinking with this outlet placement.
Step 7: BEFORE you start screwing in your boards, lay them on the floor and figure out your pattern and then cut any boards to fit. We lucked out and only 2 boards needed to be cut to fit! Boards were attached with screws at the studs located at the top and bottom of the island. A couple of the boards we had to use liquid nails as there was a tiny fear of drilling right into the plumbing on the other side. 2" self drilling screws (they run about $8 but worth it).
Step 8: Stand back and admire your work! Light boards baked for 3 days and dark boards baked for 7 days. Then make a list of all the things you need to do to make the entire space come together!
Step 9: Redo your kitchen table to match! That Pixie Dust Paint table makeover will be up soon! The table is made of a recycled gym floor that came out of Mexico! As you can see we were able to get someone to make us driftwood lighting! Thanks Stephanie for making my lighting vision reality!

• Pioneer Wood  (pixiedustpaintcompany.com)
  • Wood Boards  (Homedepot.com)

To see more: http://facebook.com/pixiedustpaintcompany

• Judy tichy

Love the wood project! Could you please share more info on your lights? I would like to do something similar above the log bar in our cabin.

• Sarina Correa

Im not sure how I missed this question, so sorry!! A friend of mine made these lights for me. They are made from random pieces of driftwood that were found on the Gulf Coast of Florida and then baked (to get rid of any bugs) and then drilled for the wires, and we used antique housing units to bring in the old antique look with the rustic wood!

• Teresa Tudor

How big is your island?

• Sarina Correa

Sorry for the REALLY late reply! Ekkkkk. The base is 7.5' x 2.5' and the top is 7.5' x4'!

• Jcourtney

We live in Sarasota (also Gulf city) and am looking for EXACTLY the same decor coastal farmhouse (and for the same northern memories reason :) ) Our island is fine BUT was looking into doing a focal wall in wood slats (we were thinking of using wooden fence boards) I was just going to get a couple shades of wood stain but I haven't heard of this product, do you know if there are any pros to cons for wood stain vs. pioneer stain? Beautiful outcome by the way!

• Sarina Correa

Sorry for the late reply, you have probably already tackled your project. The pros for stain is that it's quick, the con is that it's messy, smelly, etc. Pioneer wood is all about allowing the wood to bake and you never really know what you are going to get. Both have their pros and cons! BTW, we are just north of you in Ruskin/Apollo Beach!

• Joanie

Love your Island and table both........Farmhouse is the answer for me.......totally makes me happy and brings back memories!! Beautiful work!!

• Dawn

I have kitchen envy!