Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Atascadero, CA

DIY Shibori Inspired Picnic Blanket

$15

Now that we are in full swing of summer that means beach days, playing at the park and picnics in your backyard. All things I LOVE! Another trend I am loving is Shibori. I know I have mentioned this dying technique before- almost like a more mature tye dye if you ask me- haha. Shibori is an ancient Japanese resist dying technique where you fold and bind fabric in all sorts of folds to create gorgeous
diy shibori inspired picnic blanket, crafts, how to
First start by folding your fabric up. Just like tye dye, each fold with create a unique pattern. I wanted to play around with an accordion fold and then pressing the fold between two planks of wood to apply pressure. The main thing to keep in mind when folding is that this is a resistant dye so the more folds mean the more white lines, which makes your piece all the more beautiful and visually appealing (aka fold a ton!). (oh and my black lab maya was very excited to help- ha!)
I started with a long rectangle and then made a triangle fold onto each new section until I ran out of fabric.
Our fabric is actually 100% cotton!
Just keep folding :)
Next I pressed the fabric between two boards of wood and secured with rubber bands. These rubber bands are doing more than securing my wood though, they will act as folds and resist dye on the areas they touch fabric- yay for more visual interest!
Once your fabric/wood is all ready go ahead and prep the dye according to the instructions on the package. Once you have your dye ready, time to dunk!!
First gave it a good dunk and then I let me fabric/wood sit in the dye for about 5 minutes to really absorb the dye. I didn’t let the entire piece sit in the dye because I thought it might be a neat ombre effect if some areas are lighter/darker.
Apparently the dye can still go through the gloves, oops! Smurf Sam here :)
Time to unfold and dry….
Backyard picnic with a my friend Anya’s new puppy ? I think YES!
Cheers to Summer!

xoxo,
Sam

• Rubberbands
  • Fabric/cloth
  • Navy blue Rit dye
Zest it Up

• Taylor Wahlheim

How much dye did you use? There seems to be a lot in the bucket! Or did you dilute it with water?

• Zest it Up

Hi Taylor! That's a great question! We used Rit dye and followed the instructions on the back of the bottle to dilute the solution.

• Misspistachio

Did you start with damp fabric ??
    I usually wash the fabric first ,(NO Fabric Softener) and begin the folding and wrapping with damp fabric. Damp fabric allows the dye to soak in better,And always do a vinegar soak afterward,It sets the color. Try this and you will see a more vibrant color that will last much longer. Works with clothing too.Pre-wash new items with a vinegar wash then rinse before Tye-dying.

• When you took the fabric & wood out of the bucket to unfold and let it dry, it must have been dripping wet. Did you let it drain and dry a bit before unfolding it? Wouldn't the dripping dye have stained the white areas as you unfolded it while it was so wet?

• Zest it Up

Once you take it out of the bucket, we recommend rinsing the fabric & wood because it will be dripping with dye. Once you rinse it a little bit, go ahead and unfold it. The dye might bleed a little into the white areas but it shouldn't ruin the design from the folding.

• Tgo17571005

Vinigar will set color. I use a cup of vinegar every time I wash a new bought item.

• Lia27139875

Try this wrapped around a piece of plastic pipe, the pattern will differ with the diameter of the pipe. You can also turn the pipe upside down to get the top and bottom different.