Refinishing 60 year old hardwood floors

Lots of soiled spots that had to be coarse sanded and still didn't remove completely. After the polyurethane it all blended together pretty well. The wood was age but in excellent condition other than the spots. My question is: Should I put a round rug underneath my round table. And.... I have jungle/tropical theme-What color should I paint? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking
2nd & 3rd coat poly on 7/20/12. LQQK at that shine I let the first coat dry well over a month. Finally got back with a better poly this time. Use MiniWax Super Fast Drying & able to walk on it in 3 hours. I applied 3rd coat same day
Before the stain 6/02/12- I sanded alot in soiled areas the applied bleach to the stain- Would NOT recommend to anyone else.
After the stain & poly 06/04/12- the floor stayed tacky after about 3-4 days UGH !! Not fast enough for my liking. Was MiniWax Fast-Drying- Clear Gloss Changing on the next application-Needs to cure faster

• Ivonne Shoucair

Did you have to sand the entire floor and remove not just the stains but the old varnish? If so, did you use a machine for this or was it hand sanded? Thank you.

• Sherry R

Ivonne- yes I sanded the entire floor with electric rotating sander ( small hand held) floor had several extra dark spots that I sanded extra. I took small amount of bleach and lightly brushed. The prep work is always the hardest part. Do the prep correctly and your floors will turn out prettier.

• Sherry R

Floors had been covered with carpet for many years- no varnish left so the sanding part was not too hard. Sanding will depend on how long varnish and stain had been there. Sanding also removes rough spots. Sand and wipe away all debris. Clean and vacuum away every ounce of dust