Lynne Fernandez
Lynne Fernandez
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

What plants could I use in zone 10 to give appearance of water?

Douglas HuntLynne Fernandez
+3

I have a 2 tier garden that was an old Koi pond now filled in with garden soil. I want to give it the appearance of a FOUNTAIN using plants that would give the look of water perhaps with a big Fountain grass in the center? Any ideas would be helpful.

You don't say whether this is going to be in sun or shade, Lynne. For a sunny situation, if you would like something to flower, how about firecracker plant (Russelia rquisetiformis), which has a fountainlike habit, in combination with a trailing groundcover like coral creeper (Baleria repens). For shade, how about Xanadu philodendron with liriope?

• Lynne Fernandez

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. The garden is in full sun but I'd like to give it a "blue" appearance as well as motion.

If you're going for a blue that moves, instead of fountain grass, seek out Panicum amarum "Dewey Blue." I have three in my front yard. The glaucous foliage is lovely and they sway in the slightest breeze.

• Lynne Fernandez

I will check out Dewey Blue panicum amarum to see if they have it locally. thank you.

• Lynne Fernandez

This plant is only hardy to zone 9. Do you know if it will grow in zone 10? It is beautiful.

Lynne, I can only say that is is doing very well in my 9B front yard a block from the beach. But the straight species, Panicum amarum, is listed as part of the "Natives for Your Neighborhood" program in South Florida, so I don't know why the cultivar wouldn't do OK: http://regionalconservation.org/beta/nfyn/plantdetail.asp?tx=Paniamar