Tami @ Curb Alert!
Tami @ Curb Alert!
  • Montgomery, TX

Recognize this plant?

April ECarolyn DavisAngie W
+48

These plants are growing like wildflowers in fields near our SouthEast Texas home. They are so pretty and I would like to transplant a few into the "field" part of our yard. Any ideas what type of plant this is? Poisonous or NonPoisonous? I am hoping to write more about my findings at http://tamicurbalert.blogspot.com, your input is appreciated!
Any idea what type of plants these are?
Any idea what type of plants these are?
Any idea what type of plants these are?
Any idea what type of plants these are?
They don't really grow sideways!  Let's just imagine...
They don't really grow sideways! Let's just imagine...
  • Adrienne Sajecki

Here is a link to USF horticultural info on it. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/lh044 they have chemicals listed to use. Good Luck! All this rain we have had, we are getting some type of fungus also!

• Tami @ Curb Alert!

Thanks Adriene! I'll check it out.

• Elizabeth Hamaty

they look like balloon flowers. A friend of mine has tons growing near a tank, her dad brings huge bunches home for her mom

• Tami @ Curb Alert!

Balloon Flowers? I'll have to look that one up! Thanks Elizabeth :)

• Ouina

From the pictures they look like Texas Bluebells. Go to Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Research Center's website. They have a lot of information on wildflowers and how to propagate. Also how to grow in your garden. I think this wildflower is the prettiest wildflower Central Texas has - they are spectacular and used to be endangered. Lots of luck!

• Meg

Those look exactly like the balloon flowers that I've put in a number of my flower beds! They're wonderful and not invasive (at least not here in Ohio). I collected seeds from one of my plants last year and was able to grow some in the back yard as well! I would LOVE to have them as neighbors!!!

• Tami, I commented to you a few days ago and somehow it didn't post... Sorry. My mom and I used to pick these when I was a kid and she called them bluebells too. Now after having been a florist for almost 20yrs I know they are in the same family as lisianthus. How blessed you are that your new home is near a field of them! Brought back such sweet memories. Thank you 😊

• Kelly Baird

Those are definitely Texas Bluebells. Native wildflowers, they grow in fields, and are disappearing with development. Don't mow them down, they are so pretty. Good cut flowers too!

• Su

I just pick wild flowers the ones that are mostly all bloomed out and throw them into my bed they go to seed and next year there they are blooming....would love to have these I lived in TX my whole life but never saw these guess I was living in a part that these didn't grow...very pretty

• June

Thought it was platycodon (also balloon flower) but on closer look, I'm wrong. They are so pretty!

• June

hit this by mistake

• Phyllis Naab Campofelice

looks like lisianthis to me.

• Mikell Paulson

Phyllis, That is what I thought too! Lisianthis! Texas bluebell are in the family of Lupine! Different leaves!!

• Nancy Christopher-Morrison

They are definitely Lisianthus or Eustoma. Also known as Prairie Gentian or Texas Bluebell. Wonderful that you can find it in the wild, the hybrid varieties are fuller and larger. I have to start my seed in January and hope to have germination to have flowers by July. ( for Washington State) I also buy plugs from e-bay and purchased over 300 this year ( I resell most) so I am very familiar with this plant. If you try to buy them as a plant check out Burbees...$29.99 for 12 + 8.95 for shipping. Check out this link....http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/204510/

, Here is a picture of lisianthus in my garden
  • Gladys Rhoads

they grew as wid flowers with the buttercup in the spring in Washington state and went in the May day baskets every year when I was a child.

• Paula Landua

Texas Bluebell. They are very pretty, almost disappeared at one time here in Texas.

• Kristin Peltonen

Purple Loosestrife plant

• Nancy Kruse

not purple loosestrife - those are more of a reddish purple

• Shawn B

Prairie Gentian/Texas Bluebells/Eustoma grandiflorum/Lisianthus is what they are. Lovely.

• Catherine F

I say bluebells

• Cathy Isabel-Johnson

lisianthus is my guess. Been in the florist industry for many years. Love this cut flower !!

• Laverda Gluszek

I would say they are "BLUE BELLS" DO I WIN?

• Carol

Are they Texas bluebonnets?

• Tami @ Curb Alert!

Guys, thank you so much for your input. It is so helpful! :)

• Bonnie Moore

I am sorry after a closer look I find I was totally wrong not horsemint

• Helen M

Lisianthus, they are beautiful.

• Nanci Burroughs

A form of wild lisianthus

• Angie W

This is Texas Blubell

• Angie W

This is Baloon flower

• Angie W

I'd say Texas Blubells...

• Jamie Wade-Matlock

They are growing around here in pastures all over. I love them!

• Theresa

Lisianthus!

• Kay C

Whatever they are...I am in Missouri and have some that look a lot like these but smaller by my creek..and we call them blue bonnets..I tried to transplant them but difficult by time I get home their wilted..will consider the seed gathering...wanna swap...

• Betty Wilmott

Definitely Blue Bell which is the State flower of Texas. Despite the name some due appear to be purple. You will see a lot of them in the wild here in TX especially when in the country areas such as Cleveland, just about all of Parker and Kaufman counties, Where did you find it?

• Candace Seaton

Looks like lisianthus, which I have tried and failed to grow many times.

• Tina Richardson

Sorry, Betty Wilmott, but Blue Bell are not the Texas State Flower....that would be the Blue Bonnet as Our (Texas) State Flower.

• Myrna Engle

They are Prairie Gentains Bluebells

• Nancy Vance

Lisianthus beautiful as a cut flower

• June

Went to lisianthus and on the side was a picture of eustoma. That certainly looks like what you have and fits the description. What do you think?

• Gwenyth Mumford

I agree with Angie W. Texas Blubell.

• Pat Dareneau

not Blue Bonnet. there is a Painted Sage in Texas .

• April E

lisianthus or texas bluebell its a awesome wild flower down there aand a great cultivated garden and florist flower in many other areas

• Mikell Paulson

Blue Bonnets are from the lupine family That flower is is not a Blue bonnet! Might be a blue bell' but it looks like Lisianthus!

• Donna James

This looks like Prairie Gentian or Prarie Bluebell (Eustoma exaltatum). See: http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=EUEX5

• Hazel Munnis

BLUEBONNETS are the STATE FLOWER of TEXAS!!!!!

• Rick Meszaros

you are all wrong. its a plant growing in a pasture. A pasture is for cows. cows eat plants in a pasture Then they poop plants in the pasture. Therefore they can only be: purple poop plants

• Judy Johnson Wilson

I checked your link Donna James and you are absolutely right. Eustoma exaltatum (L.) Salisb. ex G. Don, Catchfly prairie gentian, Bluebell gentian, Western blue gentian, Blue marsh lily, Small bluebell, Catchfly gentian, Seaside gentian Gentianaceae (Gentian Family It goes by many names. But this is certainly the same flower that is in question here.

• Angie W

After looking and comparing pictures, I think Donna James has it....Here are both pics... The ones Tami ask about and Donna's...I think we have a match...Look at the shape of the flower, and the inside colors and the height ...

• Carolyn Davis

To Betty Wilmott; the state flower of TX is the Bluebonnet.

• April E

@Carolyn Davis actually it is texas blue bell or lisianthus the botanical is Eustoma russellianum bluebonnet which is the texas state flower is Lupinus texensis and a very different flower