Pamela W
Pamela W
  • Hyattsville, MD
Asked on Jun 5, 2012

I have a bird trapped in my dryer vent how can I get him/her out?

Priscilla EPamela WWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
+31

• You need to open up the vent on the end to be sure it can get out. Then carefully remove the other end where it connects to the dryer, or where ever you can just after where you find this critter, Then wear a glove and gently attempt to push him out. You may need to catch the little guy and take him out of the house by hand. Its scary for you but real frighting for it. Just be sure that he does not get loose in the house if at all possible. You can also take a pillow case and after removing the hose from the dryer, put the case over the hose and shake the bird into it. once trapped you hold the case closed and remove to the outside for a safe release.

• Pamela W

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Pamela W

my vent is sealed to the point where I cannot get to it would have to pull stackable dryer & washer out not to mention I'm scared. Can you recommend a good inexpensive company in my area. Thank you.

• Brian S

somewhere outside should be a vent outlet this is probably how the bird got in so he should be able also to get out if not why/?

• Jim B

Try calling the Department of Natural Resources.....they remove wild animals from homes free of charge.

• Christine S

Is there a humane society where you are?

• Kittie P

How do you know it's a bird if it's attached to your machine and you can't get to it? Did you try turning on the dryer with no heat and removing the vent cover on the outside of the house so it can fly out freely???

• Marci N

Try the humane society, they will know of some wildlife rescue people in your area. Good luck, never heard of a bird getting into one of those.

• Pamela W

The bird flew in the vent from outside. Thank you Jim B for your useful information. Marci N birds do fly into outside vents.

• Christie B

shop vac. My hubby is in pest control and they use a shop vac for 3 eastern starlings and they survived that and 1 lived to fly away as an adult. :)

• Deb B

rainbow.

• Pamela W

Christie thanks for the info. So, are you saying just a regular shop vac. will do the job?

• Pamela W

I need a clarification about a response Christie are you saying just a regular shop vac?

• Pamela W

Jim B. Department of Natural Resources does not remove birds. But, if you know of someone that does can you refer me to him or her. Thanks!

• Linda R

I had a Blue Jay nesting in the dryer vent. I live in a condo and the maint dept got the nest out.

• Pamela W

Thanks Linda I don't live in a Condo. I live in a house that is own by me. So, I will try to the bird out some how.

• The bird by now has passed. Simply remove the hose if you can get to it, or use a shop vacuum to suck it out. In any case, you need to get the hose cleaned out and a new proper flapper installed to prevent this again.

• Priscilla E

It depends on where the bird is. Sometimes a shop vac could suck him out. This could cause a fire when a dryer vent is clogged.

• Pamela W

Woodbridge Environmental: Bird still alive I have a dryer vent wirer to keep birds out. I know I need to hire an Air Duct Company as soon as possible.

• Pamela W

Thanks Woodbridge.

• Chimney sweeping company also can do this for you. Also most handyman as well.

• Pamela W

Thanks again Woodbridge you are giving me ideas that I did not think of because I never exprienced this problem before. 1st time hmowner.

• Priscilla E

You can buy a screen to go over the vent at a box store. We have closed ours up.

• You do not want to put any screening or mesh in front of the dryer vent. It will plug up within a few weeks if you use the dryer daily. Also the lint build up on the screen will attract more birds as they attempt to pick the lint up to use in the nests. Flapper type of vent without the screen is the only proper method to vent the dryer. Once you get the dryer vent cleared out and cleaned purchase this device. http://www.lintalert.com/

• Pamela W

Woodbridge Environmental: I think the bird has died now I am going to hire someone to clean the vent. I went to HomeDepot and bought a bird guard to put on the outside vent where the bird got in. I cannot get to the vent itself because of the way my dryer is position once again, its a stackable. If you have any suggestions as to how I can accomplish this without hiring someone I would greatly appreciate it. Again, 1st time home buyer don't have a lot of money I live paycheck to paycheck.

• Priscilla E

Can you try and suck out the bird from the outside vent where he came in. I will bet there is more stuff in that vent. Never leave the dryer on and leave the house. Many fires have happened this way. Our condo in Florida had to be done proffessionally because it is on the second floor and they cleaned from the roof to the outside.

• Pamela W

Thank you Priscilla E. What should I use to suck out the bird. Can I used my regular vacuum cleaner its a Dirt Devil upright? I don't want to have to purchase a shop Vacuum.

• You should be able to use your current vacuum, but you will need to throw the bag away because of the lint that will fill it. Why not rent a shop vacuum? About $20 for a few hours and will work much better. But remember you will need to get the hose down far enough to work. It cannot simply just be placed on the opening. Personally you really should hire a handy man/woman to pull the machine out away from the wall and do a good cleaning anyway. I understand cash flow real well, but its your safety I am concerned about here.

• Pamela W

Thank you Woodbridge Environmental you are so thoughtful, kind and caring. You are gonna make me cry. I will do just that.

• Pamela W

Woodbridge Environmental: Crying now!

• Priscilla E

When Sears has a sale for $35. you can buy. It will last forever. I use it in my house for cob webs etc. You can look for one at an estate sale too I really think it cleans better than a dirt devil. I am a domestic goddess running apartments condos and a home.

• Pamela W

Thank you Priscilla E.A woman after my own heart. my girl-friend whom I forgot has her own cleanning business has a shop vac that I will borrow over the weekend. Will post next week results.

• Pamela W

Thank you all for your input in my bird situation. Yes much to my surprise there was two birds in my dryer vent. Although neither survived nevertheless my problem has been taken care of. I want thank Woodbridge Environmental especially for their concerns. I can now use my dryer and my laundry room no longer spell stinky. lol Thanks everybody!

• Priscilla E

Great news