Doris rhoden
Doris rhoden
  • Emmett, ID

Hi,I am a farmers daughter from Florida transplanted to Idaho.We're in

Douglas HuntPatricia Brining

the middle of July's heat, Very hard to get fresh collards here. I know how to plant a fall crop .How do I get results up here.
  • Patricia Brining

Make sure you bank up the soil around the base of the plants ! You can cheat and put a soaker hose in the row with the plants if you are worried about watering. You can even do a regular garden hose and poke holes by each plant with an ice pick so you can make sure each one gets watered. You can do this with multiple hoses connected together ! Double check what the temperatures are going to be so you know when to pull your plants so you have a growing window! If you look online at seed companies they have accurate planting times for the zone you are in! Good Luck!

Greetings from Florida, Doris. The University of Idaho recommends planting collards two to three weeks before the last frost date in the spring (depending on whether you are direct seeding or transplanting): http://web.cals.uidaho.edu/idahogardens/2012/08/planting-the-garden/