Melissa Reyes
Melissa Reyes
  • Panama City, FL

I Think This is a Maple Tree....can Anyone Let Me Know for Sure?

Drought Smart PlantsMaria WelchMelissa Reyes
+14

I am trying to find out for sure what this is so that I can better care for it.
q i think this is a maple tree can anyone let me know for sure, gardening
  • Tabby

Possibly sycamore (Plane tree)? It helps if we can see bark pictures and any seed or nut pictures. Also a general long distance 'shape of the tree' picture would help.

• Melissa Reyes

here are a couple more pics...it has never had nuts or anything on it. last year it was just a poor sad little stick so im very surprised to see all this greenery this year???

q i think this is a maple tree can anyone let me know for sure, gardeningq i think this is a maple tree can anyone let me know for sure, gardening
  • Brendan Poynter

Not sure, it could be a maple of sort, but it also looks a little like a sycamore tree. http://www.oplin.org/tree/fact%20pages/sycamore/sycamore.html

• Melissa Reyes

pretty positive its closer to a sycamore than a maple tree! my husband is so fired. thanks

• Melissa Reyes

according to that site it looks like it will get very very big some of the leaves are huge, very pretty

• Marlene Johanson

not a maple tree I'd go with sycamore.

• Marilyn Highley

Agree with the others who think sycamore. I hope it has plenty of room for a good time to come. :-)

• Melissa Reyes

thanks girls

• Terri Johnson

Hi, no its not a maple tree.

• Sherry S

not a maple. It looks like a sycamore. I have had 1 in a previous yard. I would get rid of it at once. They create terrible messes in your yard. Small twigs/ Limbs fall every time there is a storm, it has little seed balls that fall everywhere, and the leaves are fuzzy on the back. Caused sneezing fits every time you mow the yard. I will NEVER allow another one in my yard!

• Tabby

If it IS a Sycamore/Plane tree, we have them in our subdivision park because in the 1970's every park designer planted them back then. They are great for shade and climbing when grown, but Sherry is right, twigs, bark and seed balls cover our park grass after every little windstorm. And the seeds hurt to step on. Ours are now 45 years old and have a massive reach/ umbrella/ canopy, so you need a huge yard with no power lines or house-second-storys (stories?) to interfere with it. Dig it up and offer it to a friend with a pasture, they can protect it from chewing animals with a fence until it is big enough to just be a shade tree where it doesn't matter if it 'sheds'.

• Glh

I agree with Sherry an Tabby, We have a HUGE Sycamore in our front yard. Yes, it's a big shady tree, good shape for climbing. YES I agree, it's messy!!! I hate those lousy balls that drop, there's even little tiny very hard balls which are different from the larger messy brown seed balls. It hurts like crazy if you step on them with bare feet, they also can throw you off balance if you happen to step on one when wearing shoes! The leaves hang on the tree longer other trees, so you end up with leaves constantly falling on the ground until Jan - Feb. Plus, the roots are lifting up our driveway! My husband won't part with it :(

• Pat Powell

Could this possibly be a Confederate Rose Bush. It looks like the leaves on my bush. I live in South Carolina but not sure where you are located.

• P

Pretty sure it is a Sycamore

• Melissa Reyes

i hope it isnt that tuff to dig up...i guess i can try to move it out back near the fence line in the field. we will see how the transplanting goes, wish me well

• Maria Welch

Is Sycamore another name for sweet gum?

• Drought Smart Plants

Sweet Gum is Liquidamber - I thought this too - if it changes to bright red and yellow, this could be it. In this case, it should be fine where it is. Nothing bad to say about it.