Bonnie Shirley Coates
Bonnie Shirley Coates
  • Columbia, LA

Master Bath Makeover

$125

About a year ago I found an amazing brass basin and faucet kit at a garage sale. I knew it would look beautiful with the perfect dresser to replace our pitiful pedestal sink in our master bath. After purchasing a nice tiger oak dresser a few months ago I could not get the courage to cut a hole in the top. Last weekend I stumbled upon a sturdy smaller dresser that has seen better days and I knew this was
dresser makeover, bathroom ideas, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
This is how our master bath looked a year ago... YES, the sink is in our bedroom, the toilet and Jacuzzi tub are located behind the cute little glass door.
I wish I had taken a good photo before the work began but this is all I have; the beginning of the custom bathroom vanity.
After we cut the holes in the top for the basin and faucet kit, I began to sand away some of the topcoat.
Side view; more sanding.
I used an electric palm sander to make quick work of the sanding. Next, I applied 2 coats of poly-stain (I need to add a couple more coats as the finish is uneven)
Next, we took the dresser into the house so we could cut the holes into the back for the plumbing.
Added the faucet kit.
All in place with basin, faucet kit, and drawers. My husband cut down each drawer to fit around the plumbing so we still have some storage in each drawer. The top 2 drawers had to be cut down significantly but we plan to add a flip-out feature on these.
The (nearly) finished product. I still have some tweaking to do to the hardware and medicine cabinet; as well as apply a few more coats of poly-stain. I will paint the medicine cabinet and drawer pulls to match the fixtures until I can find a more suitable mirror.
Finally finished!
Finally finished!
I wanted to post an updated photo. We finally found a mirror we love. I have a vintage light fixture I would like to add but that will have to wait. (poor hubby will never catch up, as it is)

• Dresser
  • Basin/faucet kit
  • Tools (saw, router, screwdriver, sander)
Bonnie Shirley Coates

• Gautam

But what about the water that will fall on the wooden sink ?

• Dpbeee2

If your husband helped you do that great job, you might want to hold back on smacking, unless you mean kissing him. 😄

• Susan Coleman

Just finished painting one in our home. It had been here when we moved in. I would love to see details of the flip out top drawer plan.

• Mary Ewing

Looking to do this in our bathroom, found the cabinet already just dreading cutting a hole in the top. Can you add photo's of the finished drawers as I'm trying to figure out how to configure those now.

• Bonnie Shirley Coates

I am not sure that I have any but I will take some when I get home this evening and try to post.

What we did was modify each draw to fit around out plumbing. I was different with each drawer. The bottom just had a notch at the back so the drawer would slide in.. the middle drawer was a bit more trouble. My husband had to cut down the middle and add new side walls to make it work.

• Bjcase

been wanting to do this. Now I will.
    • Bonnie Shirley Coates

Good luck! Half of the battle is finding a piece that fits the space. I hope you will post photos when you are done. Happy DIY-ing!

• Dpbeee2

Lovely. Great job! I wanted to convert a dresser to a bath vanity and let myself be talked out of it. Now Im inspired again. Thank you.