Master Bath Makeover

$125

About a year ago I found an amazing brass basin and faucet kit at a garage sale. I knew it would look beautiful with the perfect dresser to replace our pitiful pedestal sink in our master bath. After purchasing a nice tiger oak dresser a few months ago I could not get the courage to cut a hole in the top. Last weekend I stumbled upon a sturdy smaller dresser that has seen better days and I knew this was the one...
This is how our master bath looked a year ago... YES, the sink is in our bedroom, the toilet and Jacuzzi tub are located behind the cute little glass door.
I wish I had taken a good photo before the work began but this is all I have; the beginning of the custom bathroom vanity.
After we cut the holes in the top for the basin and faucet kit, I began to sand away some of the topcoat.
Side view; more sanding.
I used an electric palm sander to make quick work of the sanding. Next, I applied 2 coats of poly-stain (I need to add a couple more coats as the finish is uneven)
Next, we took the dresser into the house so we could cut the holes into the back for the plumbing.
Added the faucet kit.
All in place with basin, faucet kit, and drawers. My husband cut down each drawer to fit around the plumbing so we still have some storage in each drawer. The top 2 drawers had to be cut down significantly but we plan to add a flip-out feature on these.
The (nearly) finished product. I still have some tweaking to do to the hardware and medicine cabinet; as well as apply a few more coats of poly-stain. I will paint the medicine cabinet and drawer pulls to match the fixtures until I can find a more suitable mirror.
Finally finished!
I wanted to post an updated photo. We finally found a mirror we love. I have a vintage light fixture I would like to add but that will have to wait. (poor hubby will never catch up, as it is)

Bonnie Shirley Coates

• Dr Mom

I would love to do this in my “new” little house I’m remodeling, but want to put in the “guest”/hall bathroom. My concern is water on the top causing damage to the wood? Will multiple coats of the polyurethane stain prevent that? Did you think about putting glass on top?

Thank you!

• Lilpixiestixxx

I also agree using the marine grade food safe spar urathanes the way to go I did counters and a tabletop 10 years ago both look as good now as when I first did them.

• Lexi

where did you get the sink? any info please!

• Erin

What’s the diameter of that sink? It looks so tiny!

• Joseph N DeFranco

I absolutely LOVE this! I am so glad to see an old piece of furniture in it's natural wood tone. Everyone wants to paint EVERYTHING! I admire this so much. Beautiful!

• Kyralee

I 100% love this! I've always wanted to do this and never had the guts!