No Lawn!

$150
1 Week

How to easily get rid of you lawn and add whatever you'd like to put in it's place; easy low maintenance plants, landscape rock, vegetable garden, rose garden, the choice is yours only limited by your imagination!

In the beginning there was lawn.....

I had wanted to get rid of it for so long. Let's face it, lawn takes a lot of maintenance and water. This was in 2008, we'd hadn't met our rainfall for the last few years, the very early beginning of our now severe drought. My neighbors thought I was crazy at the time!

No more lawn!

I covered the existing lawn with a thick layer of newspaper. On top of the newspaper added a thick layer of compost. The newspaper kills the lawn and turns into compost too. I consider it the lazy woman's way to garden. I really don't consider myself lazy, but I don't go looking for extra work if I can get away with an easier method =) Neighbors didn't understand why I didn't dig up the lawn, remove a layer of soil and replace it with "good" soil. Recycled brick edging from the farm along the sidewalk to coordinate with rest of front garden area. Salvaged rock, from farm neighbor, made property line border. Keep that lawn over there!

Added pathways

I found this beautiful red slate at the quarry. I made paths from the sidewalk and driveway to the main sidewalk. Added some spring bulbs and a few Iris.

One Year Old

More plants were added - the garden was in a state of evolution. White and purple Violets, Foam Flower then Lily of the Valley and other perennials

Two years old

more planting of perennials and a Pomegranate previous years plants are bigger

Three Years Old

Still filling in nicely and evolving. Cherry tree was added.

Most recent Photo

Some plants have flourished, some didn't. Along the way my dream white bike was added with basket full of petunias, Mom's Dove was added to my birdbath, a garden bench is in there somewhere, a garden lamp was added, and tons of Pomegranates are produced each year. I love it. Does my home look like anyone else's? Nope. We were the only house without a porch - we moved in and put up the huge arbor (now covered with climbing Roses and Jasmine) and now have NO LAWN. Nope, we're not a cookie cutter house any more ;) More on my blog!

House Entry showing some propagated Red climbers from Mom's garden on the left and beautifully fragrant Jasmine on the right.

• Newspaper, rock, brick  (salvaged)
  • Mulch  (Walmart)
  • Plants  (ebay, walmart)

3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure