Debby Cohen
Debby Cohen
  • North Adams, MA

Painting wooden floors

Fiona LoperTherese CDebby Cohen
+4

My landlord painted my floors before I moved into my apartment with a flat brown paint and it looks disgusting. I want to paint over them with a high gloss Enamel Paint. Any suggestions about using that type of paint would be helpful
  • Jean Vercler

my big question-wouldn't high gloss be too slick?

• Debby Cohen

I am only using it in my den and bedroom. Then when I am finished I am going to put my area rugs back down. Do you think that will help?

• Debby Cohen

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Therese C

I once painted the living room floor in my house with high gloss black enamel. (Rustoleum porch and deck) I then put down my 10x12 antique oriental rug. I did make sure however, to put carpet tape at the corners and never suffered any slipping rug. The furniture will also help hold the rug still. I am a big fan of painted floors for accent and think you should go for it! Paint it again in a color that accents your room. One suggestion I would make is to put 2-3 coats of clear semi-gloss varnish over the dry paint to prevent scratches from furniture.

• Debby Cohen

Thank you so much for your comment. I am taking your advice and going to move full steam ahead on this project.

• Therese C

Post before and after photos!! I would love to see the end results! Good luck dear, I'm sure it will look smashing!

• Fiona Loper

high gloss external paint.