Gabi
Gabi
  • Romania

The Easiest DIY Log Holder Without Spending a Dime

First I wanted to get rid of them, but then one idea came into my mind. What if I give these pieces of old wood a second chance and turn them into something useful on long term? Like a log holder.
So I saved them from burning, and built the cheapest and easiest DIY log holder one can have. I did not cut, I did not glue. Just a few nails and a cup of paint, and here's my lovely DIY log holder!
the easy diy log holder, outdoor furniture, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas
I used 4 wood poles and a wooden board (2ft x 1ft 2in) to build a sort of table. Fix them on each corner as you see in the picture below, using the hammer and two or three nails for each corner. The nails I used were 2 inches long, and the wooden board was 0.8 inches thick.
Two of the poles were shorter (3ft 11in), while two others were longer (4ft 9 in), but this difference was useful later in the project.
I turned the so-called table upside down, then I used two boards (2 ft long each) to fix the poles on each side of the log holder. I did the same with the two rear poles, fixing them with a separate board, and two nails for each corner, too.
Since I had two long wooden board for the rear part, I used the second one to build a shelf between the two longer poles.
Sand the wooden holder and clean it with a piece of cloth before painting it. I needed a cup of paint to cover and protect the log holder. I love the sight of reclaimed wood, but it really needed protections since it's going to stay outside.
When the paint dried, I moved the log holder into one corner of my backyard, and filled it with small cut branches and logs.
This is how it looks now! I am very proud of building it considering that fact that I did it all by myself in less than three hours (including the time needed for the paint to dry.)
Visit my blog http://obraznicaturi.com/en/ for more DIY ideas and discover new ideas for building things out of the reclaimed materials around the house!

• 2 square wood poles 4ft 9 inches long  (reclaimed wood)
  • 2 square wood poles 3ft 11inches long  (reclaimed wood)
  • Wooden board 2ft long x 1ft 2in wide x 0.8 in thick  (reclaimed wood)

Gabi

• Hillela G.

What a great solution!

• Julia Cimino

'Just had comment on your post. I have cactus plant just like yours. A friend was going to throw out some branches off one she got from her son. Being one to never throw anything away, especially a living thing like a plant, I took them and stuck them in a pot of potting soil I had waiting for something to come along! five or six years later, moving outdoors and back indoors according to season, I have a plant just like yours. Easiest plant I ever got!And other than my friend's, I haven't seen another until your post! 'Can't get too close to it though, its prickly!