Catherine
Catherine
  • Columbus, OH

Before & After: A Little Black & White Bathroom Gets an Update

We finally finished our historic townhome renovation! (If you follow us on Instagram, you probably knew that already, but stick with us ok?) One of our favorite makeovers in the house was the bathroom. Not only was it small and awkward (the whole thing is only 6x6), but it was also the only one in the house. A few of its many quirks included oversized sconces that prevented the door from fully opening, a toilet that almost touched the tub, and a tub that took up half the room. Also, it felt old. Not the cute, vintagey kind of old, but the grimey kind of old.
before after the little black white bathroom, bathroom ideas
We didn’t intend to fully gut the bathroom because we wanted to keep costs down, but quickly discovered we would need to when we found some nasty water damage on the floor under the tub.
So, we started from scratch and took everything out, including the rotten subfloor. We opted to keep the original mini-clawfoot tub, but moved it to the back wall and added in-wall plumbing. We repainted the outside of the tub in Farrow & Ball Downpipe, and revived the feet with brass spray paint. We tiled all of the bathroom walls with floor to ceiling subway tile and dark grout. We replaced the old cracked pedestal sink with a new one, and swapped the two oversized sconces with one overhead pendant to save space. For the floor, we opted for an updated take on the old black & white tiles with a patterned tile from Home Depot.
We purchased our fixtures from Amazon (hint: ordering the trim kit and valve separately saved us lots of moola!) We found the round mirror at Target and the pendant at Restoration Hardware Outlet for $30. The turkish towels are also from Amazon.
By DIYing the bulk of the work and being smart shoppers, we kept the cost under $3k. For source information & direct links to the products we used, head over to the blog! In the meantime, be sure to follow us on Instagram @beginninginthemiddle.
Catherine

• Life on Morgan

Love, love, love this!! What a great job:) One question (from someone with a small bathroom too) where is your storage? I noticed you lost your medicine cabinet (love the mirror) and I see the beautiful stand by the sink, but is there some storage we can't see? Going to check out your site asap:)

• Catherine

Thank you! We just have the stand in there now, which actually does the trick for most of our stuff b/c it has so many levels. Extra towels and larger items are kept in the hall closet. We are working on adding some wall mounted baskets above the toilet for even more, which aren't pictured!

• Bunny

Where's the toilet? I don't see it in the "after" photos.

• Catherine

It's off to the right - not pictured. We replaced it with a slim one and rotated it 90 degrees. We're working on adding more storage above it and will post pics when we're done!

• Dee

Did you originally paint the outside of the tub black? If yes, what did you do to get the paint to stick and what kind of paint did you use - really love it

• Catherine

We didn't - it had already been painted. We primed it first and then used a foam roller to apply regular eggshell paint. A $3 paint sample was enough for the whole tub!

• Delores

Where did you get the floor tiles? I love them!

• Catherine

We got them at Home Depot! The brand is Merola. We have a direct link to them in our blog.

• Delores

Thank you. I read your blog but I overlooked that.

• Donna-Marie Stenlake

Is that a slipper tub? What are the dimensions please. We are deciding on a 3/4 bath remodel. This is much like what we are doing. It's lovely.

• Catherine

Thanks! The tub is about 50" long x 30" wide.

• 1821047

Where did you get the subway tile? The only subway tile I find are off white. Your reno is great!

• Mary Smith

Where do you store your 'bathroom' items, such as t p, toothbrushes, etc? In renovating my 1940 bathroom, I had to install a vanity for storage. Would've loved a ped sink.

• Karen Beth Blatcher

If you look in the pictures there is a silver shelving unit and you can see the toilet paper on the lower shelf.

• Catherine

Exactly what Karen said. We can put a basket on one of the shelves that holds all of that stuff and keeps it organized, it's just not pictured.

• Barbara Myers

What is on the ceiling ?

• Cynthia

Beautiful! Did you put anything under the feet of the tub to disperse the weight so the tile does not crack? Or is the floor tile made for focused pressure points like that? I am moving my claw foot and am considering tiling underneath it and putting in a floor drain since water always gets on the floor with these tubs! Looks really great. Thanks.

• Catherine

We didn't put anything under the feet but I think vintage tub & bath sells little clawfoot rests. We also installed a floor drain for that same reason :)

• Rosy

Where did you get the shower curtain. Looks really long. Love the redo. Fantastic job on the subway tile.

• Catherine

We ordered it on Amazon... It's 84" long!

• Rosy

Thanks for the quick response. Had no idea that they made shower curtains that long. Everything looks perfect.

• Mag7841223

LOVE the floor and sink -- where did you get them?

• Catherine

Floor is from homedepot.com (search Merola tile) and sink is Kohler. Links to the exact ones we purchased are in the blog link!

• Jill Richley

I love the floor tile. Was it special order? I never see anything that nice in a big box home improvement store.

• Clara

Where did you get the shower hoop hardware? thanks

• Allie Whalen Shanahan

What color grout did you use with the merola tile?

• Ann Paul

What do u put behind subway tiles

• Kristen Hammel

What size of spacers did you use and what color grout for your bathroom floor tile?

• D

Excellent! I love that you kept the original tub in keeping with the historic nature. It's fresh, bright, gorgeous, but still historic. Thank you for the purchase references!

• Clara

Where did you get the shower hoop and hardware?