What is the best remedy for small cockcroach in my kitchen, please?

Kenneth JoynerLisaCrystal Meyer Griffith
+15

Can you please help me what is the home/natural remedy about having a huge small cockroach in my kitchen every night.
    Janet Pizaro

lethow.com/home-remedies/get-rid-of-roaches/

• Linda Vellucci
    Linda Vellucci

Also, keep the light on. Put every piece of dry foods in a container

• Rose Javier
    Rose Javier

Use Diatomaceous Earth. It is safe and pet/child friendly. Works like a charm.

• Susan
    Susan

Borax 20 Mule Team powder. Sprinkle around sinks, tubs, under cabinets. The roaches love the stuff. They ingest it and it makes them thirsty, so they go find water and they drink and they swell up and go boom. Bye-bye bugs.

• Barbara
    Barbara

In addition to the other ideas posted here, get rid of any brown paper grocery bags. We had this problem Wseveral years ago and the bug company that treated our kitchen told me that the bugs lay eggs in the folds by the glue in brown paper bags you bring home from the grocery store. We treated the kitchen (20 years ago), got rid of the brown paper bags and no more problems!

• Sophia,M.,McConnery
    Sophia,M.,McConnery

Also the moth balls,put them in the back corners of every cupboard.They seem to discourage every pest!There are also a lot of spices that do this.Go to youtube to find out which ones.

• Cristinaholly
    Cristinaholly

You need one boiled potato, peeled, a hard boiled egg and a tsp of boric acid (powder) you can buy from a pharmacy. Mash the potato and the egg, mix in boric acid and make a ball out of the resulting stuff. Place the ball on the floor where you noticed the cockroach. Cristina, Romania

• Cindy
    Cindy

Put boric acid in a jar lid and place on floor near cabinets. The boric acid sticks to their legs as they crawl through it and they take it back to their nest. It kills not only the ones who have crawled through it but the ones in the nest as well.

• Jan
    Jan

Either Boric acid or Diatomaceous Earth (human grade) will kill them and not harm your pets. I make a narrow line with either along the edge wherever the nasty pest have been seen crawling.

• Marcia
    Marcia

Yes, boric acid powder works. It will take a while for them to be gone, but make sure They are not comlng in from a neighbor if you are in an apartment because then it is an ongoing effort. Place this in hidden places.

• GoddessOdd
    GoddessOdd

These sound like German roaches, one of the most tenacious pests out there. These roaches (here in subtropical Florida, anyways) often come in the house in the folds of paper grocery bags, cardboard boxes, etc. They can be extremely difficult to get rid of. If you have a DIY pest control place near you, they can show you some products to help. The first step is sanitation... you have to be scrupulous. Clean all your cabinets and wash them out thoroughly. Store trash in tightly closed containers. Pick up pet food at night, or store it inside plastic bags. Wipe up spills completely. Clean under appliances, and don't store empty paper bags, or cardboard boxes inside the house, if possible. After you've cleaned up the food sources, sprinkle borax or other preventatives around, but they are slow methods, and pretty messy. What works best, in my opinion, is MaxForce gel. It is expensive, but a little goes a long way. I have a lot of pets, so safety is a concern for me, and the gel can be placed in inaccessible areas. Unscrew electrical switch plates and put a little gel behind them. Put about 1/2" of gel on strips of tape, and put the tape on the back of drawers, the top rear corner of cabinets, inside the mesh cover of your range exhaust, etc. I once rented an apartment that shared a rear wall with an old bodega. I had roaches like you wouldn't believe, and this got rid of them, eventually.

• Crystal Meyer Griffith
    Crystal Meyer Griffith

Get a can of Roach Pruf which is Boric Acid powder. Get a jar of peanut butter. Mix up a half & half mixture. Take a table knife and put a small amount (about 2 green peas worth) of this mixture under your cabinets, under the countertops and anywhere you see the roaches. They eat it and die. My exterminator told me about this and it works well for either size roach like we get here in FL.

• Jennifer Thompson Marciniak
      Jennifer Thompson Marciniak

I have used this method only I put the peanut butter and boric acid in an open jar under the sinks. It does work! You can find boric powder in store, Twenty-Mule Team borax powder.

• Lisa
    Lisa

I maintain many apartment buildings in my city so this maintenance method is common practice in our properties and we are happy to be able to report no future occurrences after this method was used in any of the problem properties. First , catch and save one of the roaches (dead or alive)& put it in a container. Contact a extermination company. Ask if the wave the inspection fee if you have one to prove they are present( Most will not charge the inspection fee if you have a roach to show them). Ask if they use the "jelly" method(bombs, sprays and powders only move the roaches to another area until it's safe to return. Roaches will hide outside until it's safe to return.) make sure they put a small(size of a QTip head)drop of the "jelly" used to kill the entire colony. The exterminator should put the small bead of "jelly" in all kitchen and bathroom cabinets & appliances. The bead of the jelly should be placed underneath the shelves corners and top and bottom corners of the base and crown trim on cabinets (never the top side of shelves where you put dishes or food or toiletries). The small bead of "jelly" tastes like candy to the roaches and once in contact with the "jelly" and it returns home to the colony, the "jelly" will kill the entire infestation within 3 days. You may leave the "jelly" in place until you are sure every last one is gone or you may leave the "jelly" in place to ensure no future guests return. Either way this is the safest least obtrusive and effective continuous maintenance method available. Roaches go where the main source of water is... Kitchen and bathrooms. If found in other areas in the house they are either scouts just looking around or they may have found a food or water source that maybe was left by accident(bag of chips in a kids bedroom, spilled cup of soda that nobody is aware of. Do a thorough check of all rooms to make sure it is free of food or water accidentally left behind. After the sweep of all rooms is done your focus will be only the kitchen and bathrooms.

, Kitchen cabinet with small brown beads of Jelly in corners to prevent any possible unwanted guest, Place small bead of jelly in all corners and underneath shelves in cabinets, Place under entire cabinet place in corners of base trim and crown moldings on all cabinetry
    • GoddessOdd
      GoddessOdd

I think the jelly is MaxForce gel. I got my tube from a DIY pest control, but you can probably buy it online and save the exterminator fee.

• Kenneth Joyner
    Kenneth Joyner

Bay leaves are great for keeping them out of your cabinets. Also putting either mint oil or flavoring on cotton balls and place around the home will keep them out as well. I have used the borax mixed with powdered sugar to kill them and it worked wonderfully. I also used the MaxForce gel in the corners underneath the corners of my drawers. The most important thing is that it will take time to kill them all. Keep everything clean and dry. My daughter moved in from an apartment which was infested beyond belief. We placed the borax and sugar mixture in the storage unit as well. When we brought the boxes home there were only dead bugs in the boxes.